"Vittoriosa - The Victorious" Top 5 Page for this destination Vittoriosa by sandysmith
Vittoriosa Travel Guide: 110 reviews and 250 photos
Vittoriosa is situated on a small peninsula just south of Valletta across the Grand Harbour. It is one of the three historic fortified towns known as the Three Cities, the other two being Cospicua and Senglea. It is where the Knights of St John first settled.
It is the oldest of the Three and to this day it retains most of its historic buildings, despite the destruction during the war years, so is oozing with charm and was probably my favourite of the three cities - also known as the Cottonera.
On our own Three Cities tour we started at Senglea, then walked through Cospicua and ended up at Vittoriosa - but you could easily do it in reverse order.
The Collachio area in the old quarter, where the Knights had their inns or auberges is the most quaint part of Vittoriosa.
- Pros:ozzing with charm and history
- In a nutshell:my favourite of the Three Cities
Just in front of St Lawrence church by the quayside is the Freedom monument - a little artifical hilly clump of bushes... more travel advice
From Vittoriosa there is a fine view across to Kalkara - not one of the three cities but it looked an interesting place... more travel advice
sandysmith's Related Pages
Vittoriosa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vittoriosa - The Victorious"
- "Citta Vittoriosa - The Unbeaten City"
- "Into the past........."
- "Vittoriosa (Birgu) and Cospicua (Bormla)"
- "Fireworks Festival held at the end of April 2005"
- "Vittoriosa - Birgu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vittoriosa
- Hotels in Vittoriosa
- Transportation in Vittoriosa
- Nightlife in Vittoriosa
- Restaurants in Vittoriosa
- Shopping in Vittoriosa
- Warnings and Dangers in Vittoriosa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vittoriosa
- 23 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Vittoriosa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vittoriosa
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 110 reviews, 259 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 130 reviews, 166 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool Intro, 112 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 101 reviews, 158 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 114 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 94 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 43 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 74 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 40 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue