"Kos Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Kos by sandysmith
Kos Travel Guide: 329 reviews and 761 photos
A visit to Kos came as a welcome, unplanned, surprise on our visit to the Dodecanese Islands in May 2005. We were based on Rhodes and took advantage of a day trip here instead on some of the smaller islands which didn't fit in with our schedule.
My impressions were of a greener city than Rhodes and much more of a turkisk feel to it - no surprise really as the Turkisk coastline is only a few miles away and is clearly visible. There was much to see with the many archaelogical ruins and the castle of the Knights of St John right in the centre and the harbour front to enjoy. About 5 hours for our day trip here - long enough for a first visit but I'm sure there is much we didn't see too. It sounds like the rest of the island is well worth exploring too.
A visit to the castle in the centre of town is a must if only for the views from the walls.
Other ancient ruins abound around the town.
- In a nutshell:well worth a day or two here and longer for the island itself
For our stay in Oct 2008 we had booked a 2 week package at Hotel Imperial - a medium sized family-run, friendly hotel.... more travel advice
In 2008 we were driving around the smaller roads as we came out of kos town toward the old Turkish village of Platani... more travel advice
sandysmith's Related Pages
Kos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kos Town"
- "Kos Town"
- "Kos, Capital of Kos Island"
- "A BEAUTIFUL GREEK ISLAND"
- "Kos, Greece"
- "I can see Turkey from here"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kos
- Hotels in Kos
- Transportation in Kos
- Nightlife in Kos
- Restaurants in Kos
- Shopping in Kos
- Warnings and Dangers in Kos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kos
- 47 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Kos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kos
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 110 reviews, 259 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 130 reviews, 166 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool Intro, 112 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 101 reviews, 158 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 114 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 94 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 43 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 74 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 40 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue