Patmos Transportation Tips by sandysmith Top 5 Page for this destination
Patmos Transportation: 6 reviews and 6 photos
cruise ship in Patmos
Patmos does not have an airport so all arrivals will be by sea - there are several options as it is on the main ferry and hydrofoil route through the Dodecanese:
there are daily ferry sailings from the E1 gate at Piraeus, Athens by Dane Sea Lines and Blue Star Ferries on the Piraeus to Rhodes route, also calling at Leros, Kalymnos and Kos.
GA Ferries operate a Sunday service to Rhodes, calling at Patmos. The journey from Piraeus takes 7-10hrs depending on routes. A catamaran sailing from Rhodes that calls at Kos.
Flying Dolphin hydrofoils sail regularly from Samos and Kos as daytrips. We could have done a daytrip from Kos for 35 euro, giving some 6 h5-6 hours, enough to see the main sights.
The openseas website (see link below) can be used to search for required schedules.
Just bear in mind that services may be limited in shoulder seasons and small ferries and hydrofoils service affected by weather.
Lastly big cruise ships come in all the time - you can't miss those!
W travelled to Patmos from Kos Island on the Blue Star 2 Ferry (14 euros each) and returned on the Dodekanese Catamaran (24 euros each)
There is a bus service on Patmos to Chora, Grikos and Kampos - the main areas. Mostly reliable - fares about 1.5 euros per person - may be delays when cruise ships are in are the bus is doing a school run! Timetables are posted near the main ferry harbour where there is a bus stop - enlarge picture for times.
Failing that the island is so small that taxis are relatively inexpensive and saves waiting for a bus.
Fares from Skala to Kampos and Grikos were between 4-5 euros for example. Restaurants will contact a taxi for you - ours arrived withing seconds of requesting one!
Caiques from Skala visit all the main beaches in the summer months. There are daily cruises to Samos, Icaria, Fourni, Lipsos and the surrounding islands of Marathi, Agathonisi, Aspronisi, Macronisi, and Tiganakia. The Patmos Express leaves daily for Lipsi at 10am, returning at 4pm. Daily cruises also leave for beaches at Psili Amos and Lambi. Notices are usually left outside the boats on the harbour.
For our stay in October services were limited, certainly not daily - we would have liked to visit Lipsi but was not possible.
Phone: +30 22470 32664.
More Reviews (21)
sandysmith's Related Pages
Patmos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pilgrimage to Patmos"
- "Patmos, the island of the Apocalypse"
- "From Leros To Patmos"
- "Patmos, Greece"
- "Patmos, Greece"
- "The religious island of Patmos"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Patmos
- Hotels in Patmos
- Transportation in Patmos
- Nightlife in Patmos
- Restaurants in Patmos
- Shopping in Patmos
- Warnings and Dangers in Patmos
- See All...
Explore the World
- Mitake Hotels
- Tiwi Hotels
- La Herradura
- Juno Beach
- Province of Bukidnon
- Diablo Heights Hotels
- Teahupoo Hotels
Badges & Stats in Patmos
- 24 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Patmos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Patmos
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 110 reviews, 259 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 130 reviews, 166 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool Intro, 112 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 101 reviews, 158 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 114 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 94 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 43 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 74 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 40 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue