"Light and Shade of Symi" Top 5 Page for this destination Symi by sandysmith

Symi Travel Guide: 226 reviews and 366 photos

Symi is one of fourteen island that make up the Dodecanese islands - a bit of a misnoner as this means twelve! Symi lies some 24 nautical miles NW of Rhodes from whence we travelled to reach here. It has a surfac area of 68 sq km ad has 85 km of coastline. Its hilly and rocky with a mountain called 'Vigla' (2020ft) in the centre. It nestles inside Turkey's rugged coastline.

The main town of Symi - Symi town - is a photographer's dream with its pastel coloured neo-classical houses cascading Amalfi coast style down the steep hillside. Other bays and coves are worth reaching by walking or boat taxis to sample the simple greek get away experience here.

Its a popular day trip from Rhodes but we were glad to stop over for a couple of nights to experience Symi properly and watch it take on a whole new light as the sun went down and the daytrippers departed back to Rhodes.

• Pros:best savoured when the day tripers have gone
  • In a nutshell:perfect greek getaway
  • Last visit to Symi: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 6, 2005

• VikingHarald's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2008 at 12:26 AM

You have excellen good Symi pages...I came more eager to visit there. Rgds

• jakiline's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2006 at 3:24 AM

THALASSA is a French TV programme: since i saw their film about SYMI, I've made it a future destination. Thanks for the pics!

• May 2, 2006 at 12:42 PM

My husband and I are goin to Symi in june, we have never been before, and anyone we have spoke to have never heard of it, some info plz, we are staying in Irini studios, what is ther 2 do at nite,and is it an expensive place tp eat out in, thanks sandra

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2005 at 2:51 AM

Great pics and info on Symi. Many, many years since we were there.

• steventilly's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2005 at 5:09 AM

Pics were taken at f3.2 for 2 seconds, which is the maximum the camera can give. The new improved version (S5600) has a maximum exposure of 15 seconds and can go to ISO 1600 too!

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2005 at 1:31 PM

I know I will love this! I am sold on Greece already after your first page! So much so that I just convinced Åke that I NEED to go here next year, LOL :-)) He agreed,... yeaaaaaa.... so maybe it will be Greece for me next spring :-))

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2005 at 5:35 AM

Greece :-)))) Wonderful pages my favorite Blondy :-)))

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2005 at 12:42 PM

Gonna have to start calling you the Sunny Girl. You seem to get gorgeous weather wherever you go lately. But the food as always is my favorite part and surely lots of tasty treats here. I see Steve's favorite photo is now hidden on a page. ;)

• suvanki's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2005 at 3:30 PM

Hi Sandy, enjoying reliving my memories of Symi through your page- some great pics! Love Sue x

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2005 at 1:44 AM

That's the right use for bombshells. Ciao!

sandysmith

“THank you for the birthday wishes!”

Badges & Stats in Symi