"Peramble Around Prague" Top 5 Page for this destination Prague by sandysmith

Prague Travel Guide: 11,888 reviews and 24,834 photos

July 1995 we had a long day visit to Prague on a day visit from Austria.
We had a good tour of the castle district and old town before savouring a traditional meal in a restaurant (name long since forgotten). It was a great visit, despite the heat and the crowds, and whetted our appetitie for a return visit sometime.

Well in March 2004 we were here for 5 days. It was mixed weather sun and snow but we pretty well managed to see most things considering some attractions (especially the gardens not surprisingly) are not fully open until April - something to watch out for. We stayed in the Lesser Town area of Mala Strana (just below the castle) in a small cosy romantic hotel - "At the Yellow Shoe" - an excellent choice, away from busy road and plenty of restaurants around - I'll do my best to give some reviews here.

During our visit the Old Town square was been set up and decorated for the Easter festivities and posssibly the half marathon which was taking place the next weekend. Anyway the garland of flowers around made for a good photo frame ;-)

I'll also try to include here some of th lesser known places in Prague - well at least some I've not see on many other pages.

Summary of our days in Prague:

First night, evening walk across Charles Bridgre to Old town and Wenceslas Sq.
Dinner at U Mecanase

Day 1: Castle and Cathedral, Golden Lane, Changing of Guard parade. New World, Loretta, Strahov Monastery. Walk down Petrin Hill, Maltese Sq. and Na Kampe and Charled Bridge.
Dinner at Blue Duckling (Mala)

Day2: Walk arounfd the embassies of Mala Strana. Cross Charles Bridge to Old Town and Wenscelas Sq. Jewish area and synagogues.
Dinner at Lvi Dur for Prague piglet.

Day 3: Rainy so good day to see inside of St Vitus and royal Palace castle area. St Nicholas visit.(Mala Strana). Walk up Nerdova St.
Dinner at Black eagle.

Day 4: Trip out to Vysehrad and cassemates visit. Then to Letna Park and tram to Petrin Park walk and over to dancing building.
Dinner at Blue Duckling (Old Town)

Day 5 trip Old Town Clock tower and Bridge towers. Tour of Town Hall.
Walk around Nove Mestro and then back to airport in the evening.

• Pros:plenty to see, so many restaurants to choose from
  • Cons:always crowded, not enough days for the restaurants
  • In a nutshell:compact city with so many architectural gems
  • Last visit to Prague: Mar 2004
  • Intro Updated Jan 3, 2005

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Hi Sandra! Had to return to you great page as we just won 2 tickets to fly to Prague in November! Finally I get to see this city (that probably needs a full 2 weeks to appreciate!) Greetings from Dubai / Jess

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Great page! Will visit this city next month!

• Nicckie's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2009 at 1:49 PM

Great pic of the Aerial view of Old Town. Thanks for sharing!

• Aug 12, 2008 at 3:37 AM

Hi sandysmith, i am czech and i can translate this mark for you - is says: The Meridian, that used to set the Prague's time. So nothing about center of Europe, sorry :))

• jennycee's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2008 at 9:13 AM

Hi Sandy, Greetings from Africa. A very informative page, pics and tips. I am looking forward to a visit to Prague next month.

• kschatterbox's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2007 at 12:07 PM

I would love to see the Minute House. Although it looks like the paintings are not finished on the building. But like you, I could just look forever on that house!!

• poons's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2006 at 8:23 AM

I see the Czechs do good windows! :o)

• Heavens-Mirror's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2006 at 1:08 PM

Lovely tips on Prague. I will never forget this place...its where i got engaged :)

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2006 at 2:37 PM

Ciao! I'm sure I missed so many things when I was in Prague. I have to go back there again soon. Hugs.

• Jul 17, 2006 at 11:57 AM

Wow!! You take very good pictures and browsing your page makes me want to go to Prague right away. Thanks for sharing so many beautiful pictures.

sandysmith

“THank you for the birthday wishes!”

Badges & Stats in Prague