Ellmau Things to Do Tips by sandysmith
Ellmau Things to Do: 25 reviews and 62 photos
View of Ellmau
An idyllic walk through the Kapellenpark takes you up to the chapel. From up here you will have a good view over the village of Ellmau with the Wilder Kaiser mountains as a glorious backdrop.
view from the centre
The village is not that big and there are prettier villages in the tyrol but its setting is what makes Ellmau special. As a very catholic country many crufixes and memorials can be seen in the villages and towns.
The Kaiserbad is the sports centre of Ellmau. Its set across the other side of the road from ellmau at the back of the golf course. We didn't actually get to go in - we were too busy hiking - but it looked a great place for the kids to have fun. There are indoor and outdoor swimming pools with linked water slides and a whole host of other activities such as climbing frames and trampolines, bouncy things etc... Kids were having a wonderful time here.
wrought iton work
Several of the hotels in the village has lovely wrought iron signs hanging outside their doors - see its not just in Salzburg where you can see such fancy signs.
Wooden balconied houses and hotels along with the church and a colourful fountain make up the village centre. its handy to know that the water from such fountains is perfectly safe to drink - there's no need to buy bottled or mineral water here.
The chapel is not always open but fortunately is was for us the day we passed this way on a hike down from the Hartkaiser top station - is worth it for the views. So we just peeped inside to see the simple wooden pews and the baroque altar.
mountain vista Hohe Salve
A must in this area is to take the cable-cars from Soll to Hochsoll where you can see wood carvings and local breadmaking and then all the way up to the Hohe Salve (1829m) where a panorama of 70 peaks over 3000 ft can be seen too. This early morning view was one of my lasting memories of this beautiful area on our first visit to Ellmau.
This beautifully situated chapel is Ellmau's emblem. It was built by Johann Kaisermann in 1721 and contains a baroque altar with an altarpiece depicting "The Visitation of Mary", made by Alois Wagner, a Tirolean from Hall, in 1831.
The interior of the parish church is decorated in baroque style and the High altar features the archangel Michael and the fall of the angel.
Address: Pfarrkirche "Zum Hl. Michael" Dorf A-6352 Ellmau
Directions: centre of the village
Pfarrkirche "Zum Hl. Michael" Ellmau's parish church was built by Jakob Singer from Schwaz between 1740 and 1746. The church was consecrated by the bishop of Chiemsee, Franz Karl, on August 21, 1746. A porch was added to the doorway in 1987/88 when the church was completely renovated.
More Reviews (31)
sandysmith's Related Pages
Ellmau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beneath the Wilder Kaiser"
- "AT THE FOOT OF THE GREAT WILDER KAISER"
- "Cold snow . . . warm welcome winter or summer"
- "A very special place"
- "Ski-Fun in Ellmau Austria (Jan 2002/2003)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ellmau
- Hotels in Ellmau
- Transportation in Ellmau
- Nightlife in Ellmau
- Restaurants in Ellmau
- Shopping in Ellmau
- See All...
Explore the World
- Koswatta Hotels
- Gulberg Hotels
- West Chester Hotels
- Provincia de La Altagracia Hotels
- Palm Desert
- Balboa Island
Badges & Stats in Ellmau
- 41 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Ellmau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ellmau
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 110 reviews, 259 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 130 reviews, 166 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool Intro, 112 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 101 reviews, 158 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 114 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 94 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 43 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 74 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 40 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue