"Beneath the Wilder Kaiser" Ellmau by sandysmith
Ellmau Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 176 photos
Wilder Kaiser and Hartkaiser mountain ranges.
These are very much like the dolomites with their jagged appearance.
There is an extensive network of hikingh trails on both sides of Ellmau. The Wilder Kaiser is rugged and is hard walking but rewarding scenery - no cable-car here!
On the Hartkaiser side you have a funicular in Ellmau and Gondolas at Going And Scheffau (villages either side of Ellmau) which make for great circular hikes. Another gondola ride at Soll takes you to the Hohe Salve where a panorama of 70 peaks over 3000 ft can be seen too.
May 2004 we returned for another week of hiking. We were blessed with several good days and the hiking once again was marvellous - the scenery even more stunning as the preceding winter had plenty of snow and the mountains were more snow-capped than our previous visit which had been in autumn. Indeed there were still patches on snow on the higher paths that we had to negotiate at times.
- Pros:stunning scenery
- Cons:no cable-cars on the Wilder Kaiser :-((
- In a nutshell:Alpine charm and hikers paradise
Scenic location = 1km up the hill from town - but there are great views! A small Gsthof booked on a half board travel... more travel advice
Scared of gondolas and not too good on your feet? Then enjoy the scenery the lazy way by taking a horse and carriage... more travel advice
sandysmith's Related Pages
Ellmau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beneath the Wilder Kaiser"
- "AT THE FOOT OF THE GREAT WILDER KAISER"
- "Cold snow . . . warm welcome winter or summer"
- "A very special place"
- "Ski-Fun in Ellmau Austria (Jan 2002/2003)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ellmau
- Hotels in Ellmau
- Transportation in Ellmau
- Nightlife in Ellmau
- Restaurants in Ellmau
- Shopping in Ellmau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ellmau
- 41 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Ellmau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ellmau
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 110 reviews, 259 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 130 reviews, 166 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool Intro, 112 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 101 reviews, 158 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 114 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 94 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 43 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 74 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 40 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue