"Kitzbuhel" Top 5 Page for this destination Kitzbühel by sandysmith

Kitzbühel Travel Guide: 63 reviews and 225 photos

Kitzbühel is set within spectacular landscape at the western end of Tirol and is sandwiched between the striking 2,000 metre-high Kitzbüheler Horn and the Hahnenkamm, home of the famous downhill ski race.

The old town is only a small part of Kitzbuhel; the resort spreads widely, and busy roads surround the old town. Visitors used to peaceful little Austrian villages are likely to be disappointed by its urban nature. But for those who like it, the sophisticated, glitzy, towny ambience is what "makes" Kitzbuhel. There are up-scale shop windows to gaze in and cafes to while away the time in, preferrably with Apfelstrude!.

KItzbuhel was our choice for a late September break one year with my parents. A delightful town centre and endless hiking opportunities on the moutains around.
The autumn colours were evident as the trees took on those lovely golden and red tones. The weather was not always great....some days hot some days wet but thats mountain weather for you and you need to be prepared for that.

• Pros:Delightful town centre and hiking options
  • Cons:unpredictable weather
  • In a nutshell:good tyrolean base
  • Last visit to Kitzbühel: Sep 1998
  • Intro Updated Jan 28, 2003

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2009 at 7:14 AM

Thanks for sharing the picturesque Kitzbühel - such a beautiful destination! We hope to visit Kitzbühel one day. ~ho & pang

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2006 at 10:10 AM

Oh, how I would LOVE to go skiing there!!! Nice photos!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2005 at 2:08 AM

Oh, homesick - I think I need to update my Kitzbüehel page to drag you there again - there are so many lovely not much known hikes - and spring and summer are just amazing in the colors as well :-) Lovely page you have, Sandy :-)

• gkitzmil's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2004 at 3:19 PM

Very nice. Some people think my name comes from here but my family is from upper Austria instead. However, this is a very nice area to visit.-- Greg

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2004 at 1:55 PM

Nice tips and pictures, especially the one with the Wilder Kaiser mirrored in the Schwarzsee. The town can get a bit crazy during the ski season, though there are plenty of other options in the area like St Johann. Good page and hikes.

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2004 at 12:25 PM

Great pictures and tips. I must admit, though, that I did not like Kitzbühel very much. The surrounding landscape is way too much spoilt by ski lifts etc. IMO. But this is just my personal opinion.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2003 at 11:00 AM

Kitzbuhel is well known from ski jump tournament at least in my country. I see that I should stope there for linger next time. Thanks for sharing :-)

• patrikske's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2003 at 12:48 PM

I love Kitzbuhel ... lovely page, Sandra !

• Amitu's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2003 at 12:39 PM

Excellent page...never heard of this place, Sandra but sure looks amazing.

• steventilly's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2003 at 12:08 AM

Love this area. Must return sometime.

sandysmith

“THank you for the birthday wishes!”

Badges & Stats in Kitzbühel

Have you been to Kitzbühel?

Latest Activity in Kitzbühel