"Shhh Keep Schladming a Secret" Schladming by sandysmith
Schladming Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 87 photos
Schladming is a charming town in the Enns Valley of the Stryria region of Austria.
A former historic silver mining town its now a wonderful sports location whether it be for skiing in the winter or hikers paradise in the summer. Being off the main tourist trail it has less of the associated trappings but maintains great facilities to enjoy the nature with its transport links, accommodation and shopping and cafes available in its pedestrianised centre . It was a great base to spend 11 nights here and enjoy some of the many hiking routes and of course strudel at the many huts on the alpine meadows!
The linked village of Rhormoos is a short climb up the hill or an even shorter bus ride. More larger type hotels can be found here and the views across to the Dachstein mountain range are amazing. You wouldn't know it but between the tree line and the rocky massif is a wide alpine meadow with even more holiday adventures waiting. More of that on my Ramsau page.
Radiating out behind Schaldming are numerous valleys forming the Schladminger Tauren National Park area. So many hikes up here and really accessible with the hiking buses. Some of the roads are toll roads but for guests in cars this is also covered on the areas summer pass.
We explored the Obertal, Untertal and Preuneggtal valleys and enjoyed amazing alpine scenery studded with numerous lakes and farming hamlets.
Evening arrival, just time for dinner in hotel and a stroll around Schladming
Orientation around town and trips on both the Planai gondola and Hochwurzen gondolas - short panorama strolls around both.
Brilliant Sunny day so headed for Ramsau and took the Dachstein Glacierbahn. Visited ice-palace and stroll on the snow for the views.
After lunch walked from gondola base to Sudwandhutte and down to Glossalm. Nice tea stop here and bus stop fo trip back to Schladming.
Bus down Untertal Valley (Wasser theme trail if walked)
Climb up through woods and series of seps and ladders to Obere Golling Alms and Riesachsee (2 hours) easier wlk down forest track.
Bus to Ramsau and another for connectiojn to Silberkarklamm (gorge)
Walked up steps and ladders to hut in meadow above. Further hike up from here and down Howenweg path to Ramsau Kulm. From here hopped bus to Ramsau beach and rode chairlift up Rittisberg for view and snack.
walked from beach to Ramsau ort and bus back to Schladming.
Bus back to Ramsau (base of Dachstein Glacier Gondola and wandered around several of huts in this area - TURLWANDE, AUSTRIAHUTTE, BRANDALM, WALCHALM to GLOSSALM. From Glossalm hiked over meadows towards Bachalm - didn't quite get there and headed down to Dachstein Stasse for bus back to Schladming.
Trip with Maxi Taxi to Obertraun ice-caves and afternoon in Hallstatt and tour round Dachstein (in the rain!)
Bus to Obertal valley. Hike up and down forest track up to Duisitkarsee
Bus to Ursprungalm to Hamlet - clouded over when arrived and steady drizzle so caught bus back. Took gondola up Planai for coffe and internet. Bus to Ramsa and went shopping. Back up Ursprungalm to get camera case left up there and back to Schaldming!
Long bus ride to Reiteralm (via Ramsau) for walk to Mirror lake and back.
On way back stopped in Ramsau and caught bus up to Walchelam for strudel (best in all of the huts we tried) Bus back to Schladming
longer hike today with bus back up to Ursprungalm, hike up to Giglachsee and Ig. Mattis Hutte and down Knappweg route down to Hopfriesen in the Obertal Valley (all day hike)
Home today but time in morning for a short bus ride down to village of Haus and ride on Schladming Tauren Gondola for stroll and cake.
- Pros:untouristic hiker's haven, free bus/lift pass
- Cons:bit of a walk to the railway station if needed
- In a nutshell:ideal family holiday, something for everyone
Just round the corner from our hotel on the way to the central bus station, the remains of the old walls can be seen -... more travel advice
Haus im Ennstal is a very pretty village just a few kilometres down the road from Schladming. The 8 seater gondola... more travel advice
sandysmith's Related Pages
Schladming Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Shhh Keep Schladming a Secret"
- "Schladming - the skiing-capital of Styria"
- "Photos in Schladming"
- "Schladming - a hiker's paradies"
- "Excellent resort and not too expensive"
- "Haus im Ennstal (near Schladming)"
- "Snowboarding in Schladming"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Schladming
- 16 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Schladming?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schladming
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 110 reviews, 259 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 130 reviews, 166 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool Intro, 112 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 101 reviews, 158 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 114 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 94 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 43 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 74 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 40 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue