Bolton Bridge Favorite Tips by sandysmith
Bolton Bridge Favorites: 5 reviews and 12 photos
Favorite thing: There are so many walks in this area - within the estate there are 80 miles of footpaths crossing moorland, through woodland and alongside the river. The most popular ones tend to follow the River Wharfe and down to the Strid where the water tumbles over rocks in a ravine - care must be taken in this are as it can be dangerous when water levels are high - fatalities have been known. Other walks follow paths to the Valley of Desolation and up to the Barden Fell Moors - so plenty of places to visit on future trips.
Bolton Abbey Estate
Favorite thing: One of the best views of the Abbey and Estate is from across the stepping stones and up a short path. Another good view is near the Tea Cottage restaurant , just near the village green. Enter through its trellis archway and follow the short path, behind the seating area to a semi-circular white seat with an impressive view over the estate.
purple heather on Barden fell
Favorite thing: Bolton Abbey is a quaint dales village adjacent to Bolton Priory, a ruined Augustinian monastery on the banks of the River Wharfe, in Wharfedale just north of the spa town of Ilkley in the Yorkshire Dales. The views of the dales around this area really are delightful - I'd like to return at different seasons to enjoy the changing colours of the heathers on the fells and dales.
Favorite thing: The actual village of Bolton Abbey is small but delightful none-the-less for its idyllic views and quaint tea shops. There is a small village green with a tree with a shady seat just by the Pantry - a shop loaded with goodies to buy - see shopping tip.
bridge by the Pavillion
Favorite thing: There are several places in the estate where food and drinks can be purchased as well as local information regarding the walking routes and what there is to see. We had crossed the stepping stones followed the route through the woods and then down to the riverside before crossing back ove by a bridge to the Pavillion restaurant for some refreshments before walking back towards the abbey itself.
Plenty more car parking available by the Pavillion - on the grass too although this is not ususally possible in winter months. From the Pavillion populat trails continue by the Wharfe to the Strid and ithe waterfalls in thisarea - we didn't get this far as we had our young niece in tow - but definitely something for another visit. The Barden Tower restaurant is in this location too.
sandysmith's Related Pages
Bolton Bridge Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Bolton Bridge
- 16 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (223)
Have you been to Bolton Bridge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bolton Bridge
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 110 reviews, 259 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 130 reviews, 166 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool Intro, 112 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 101 reviews, 158 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 114 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 94 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 43 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 74 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 40 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue