"THE ROMAN CITY OF DEVA" Top 5 Page for this destination Chester by sandysmith

Chester Travel Guide: 485 reviews and 1,236 photos

This most delightful of cities was originally built by the Romans to control the native tribes in North Wales and northern Britain. Chester has an important Roman, medieval and Tudor history and heritage, and much of it is well preserved.

The layout of Chester still follows the Roman pattern, and the Roman defensive walls create a pleasant walk around the old city The City Walls, the most complete in Britain, offering a fascinating 3 kilometre circular walk around Chester - the best way to see its attractions.

Friends to visit

Its a great place to visit with VT friends and I really enjoyed spending the day here with Steve (steventilly) and his wife Susan showing them the sights and enjoying the riverside.

A second visit with Steve and Susan in April 2003 also included Sabsi.

Map of Chester

20. St. Martin's Gate
21. The Bridge of Sighs
22. The 'Old Port'

• Pros:a delightful city
  • Cons:can be crowded
  • Intro Updated May 3, 2003

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2012 at 4:13 AM

Thanks for the tour of Chester! It is somewhere I am hoping to visit soon and I am looking forward to doing a circuit of the walls! :D

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2010 at 3:45 AM

I enjoyed taking a wander through your page and tips as I prepare for 3 July!! Gillybob greetings

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2006 at 3:30 AM

Ahh, such a lovely town indeed :-) You make me want to go to that big island immediately and travel around for old history :-)) I especially like the chimney and all the old houses :-))

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2006 at 10:50 AM

Very interesting with nice pics. Love that Dee bridge and, if you want a case for museums, Minerva should convince everyone. Back for another visit.

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2005 at 5:08 AM

Marvelous page on Chester. When next I return to the UK, I will try to get there.

• adelaidean's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2005 at 12:47 AM

You have brought back some lovely memories of when I visited Chester in 1997..thanks

• Basandro's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2005 at 6:32 AM

Nice pages! I also appreciate Chester a lot. Ciao Ale

• basstbn's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2005 at 7:26 AM

Sandy, I am so glad I happened across your Chester page. I had no idea what an interesting city this is. Hope I can visit some day.

• antistar's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2005 at 10:02 AM

Great pictures of a wonderful town. It's strange how being away from England makes me appreciate even more how beautiful the towns and cities are.

• KittyLou's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2005 at 9:30 AM

Wow love that first photo -- and I love all the helpful information. I will spend a day in Chester this summer and thanks to you I will make the most of my time there.

sandysmith

“THank you for the birthday wishes!”

Badges & Stats in Chester

Have you been to Chester?

Latest Activity in Chester