"Holy Island of Lindisfarne" Top 5 Page for this destination Lindisfarne by sandysmith

Lindisfarne Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 251 photos

Cradle of Christianity

Returning from our Venice trip in 2005 we were staying in Leeds overnight with family. We had planned to go to the Lake District but made a switch to the other side of the country and headed up to Northumberland. Several TV programmes had featured Lindisfarne (55 degrees North was one) and it rekindled my interest in visiting here. and in Leeds we were a lot nearer to this destination than from our home so a quick trawl through the Lindisfarne web site and we had checked the tide tides and booked a nights B&B and off we set the following morning.

It was on this so-named Holy Island of Lindisfarne that the monk St. Aidan founded a monastery that became a major center of Christianity, learning and artistry, as exemplified by the Lindisfarne Gospels. The monastery had sixteen bishops in all, the most renowned being St Cuthbert, who traveled widely spreading the Gospel and performing healing miracles. After his death the island became a place of pilgrimage, until the monks abandoned the island in fear of marauding Vikings. Today it is still a place of pilgrimage and retreat and a popular destination for a day visit in Northumberland with its castle on a volcano and priory ruins.

• Pros:lots of history
  • Cons:lots of tourists
  • In a nutshell:a rural retreat once the daytrippers have gone
  • Intro Updated Oct 15, 2005

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2005 at 4:44 AM

Truly evocative place. Well done. Sounds like you enjoyed your short visit there.

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2005 at 12:57 PM

Beautiful page Sandy! And thank you for bringing back those memories to me :-)) I really enjoyed my quick visit to Lindisfarne, hahaha, although I forgot the name of it ;-) I love that photo of the Celtic Cross!

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2005 at 7:10 AM

Great Pictures! I really like this place :-))

• hayward68's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2005 at 5:48 AM

Great Celtic Cross pic. Wanted to go there on a previous visit but didn't manage it, will have to try again in the future.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2005 at 5:48 PM

The Rose Villa looks comfy and a great weekend getaway location.

sandysmith

“THank you for the birthday wishes!”

Badges & Stats in Lindisfarne

Have you been to Lindisfarne?

Latest Activity in Lindisfarne