"Lakelands" Lake District National Park by sandysmith

Lake District National Park Travel Guide: 491 reviews and 1,327 photos

I've not had many trips to the Lake District - surprising really because its only about 2hours drive away, or maybe because Snowdonia has had a greater pull on us.

A shame really as the Lake District has some stunning scenery and many attractions to explore. Also the few times I've been there we have been fairly fortunate with the weather...it can rain a lot here...that's why there are so many lakes.....lol

The picture shown here is of a popular walk to Rydal Water, near Grasmere in the lake District...one of the many "Wainwrights" to conquer. Check out this hike in the travelogue.

Hiking options

There are hikes on low trails and high fells - sonthing for all abilities, just come prepared with good footwear and waterproofs.

Dales and Drystone walls

Shown here is a typical lakeland dale view.

• Pros:Great scenery and hiking for all abilitites
  • Cons:It can rain a lot..that's why there are lakes!
  • In a nutshell:English scenery at its best
  • Last visit to Lake District National Park: Jul 2002
  • Intro Updated Jan 15, 2005

• May 30, 2009 at 8:52 AM

These are beautifully composed photos, Sandy. Thanks for the advice and for the advance views of your recommended walk around the lake. --Kelli

• Nov 7, 2006 at 10:11 AM

I am reading Alain de Botton's book at the moment so I needed a visit to the Lake District - at least a virtual one. Your page presents the area perfectly!

• BlueBeth's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2006 at 7:20 AM

What beautiful pictures Sandy! I'm looking forward to spending New years at the Lakes and hoping for some snow. Should make good pics...

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2006 at 3:54 AM

Hope to get back here one day, Sandy...with my new 11mm lens. Ooops, I guess I need the camera first. ;)

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2005 at 5:29 AM

Wowwwww! Love that first reflection! So beautiful! makes me dream to go here!!!! :-))))

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2005 at 4:40 AM

Quite scenic. Good tips and pictures on the towns and scenery of the park.

• basstbn's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2005 at 7:56 AM

Loved your Lake District pages, Sandy. I am so eager to visit the area from which came my patriarchal ancestors.

• stefank60's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2005 at 5:46 AM

Good pages Sandy. Just got back from the Lakes myself and loved it. I loved the Honister pass - what a drive !!!

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2004 at 1:45 PM

It's been so long since I visited that I had forgotten most of what I saw read here - thanks for reminding me! That's a stunning picture of Rydal Water on your Lake District Homepage...

• PeteNL's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2004 at 5:53 AM

Ah, can fully agree with your writing on this area - enjoyed some great walks here too some years ago! Thanks for your remarks on my pages!

sandysmith

“THank you for the birthday wishes!”

Badges & Stats in Lake District National Park

Have you been to Lake District National Park?

Photos in Lake District National Park