Manchester Favorite Tips by sandysmith Top 5 Page for this destination
Manchester Favorites: 90 reviews and 90 photos
Favorite thing: The area around Castlefields is a pleasant place to wander around the canals. Many buildings here have been or are being converted into swish apartments and with the restaurants around here makes for a much improved area of Manchester. Nice spot for a few reflections too :-)
don't to flush the loo!
Favorite thing: Now some of my VT friends have a fascination for toilets so in the underground MAnchester section I guess they would enjoy the history of the toilet and like to see a real Victorian privy (earth closet) and a tippler toilet featuring an unusual flushing system.
power hall, science museum
Favorite thing: One of the coach hall is devoted to steam power - quite steamy and hot in this room too!
This hall had been a freight and engine shed.
Here you can see the largest working collection of steam mill engines in the world plus some huge steam locomotives
Favorite thing: The museum site is well linked by paths runnning bertween the 5 halls - this is number 3 the station building. Its the original 1830 passenger station with its adjoining range of goods offices and shops completed in 1831. In the 1980's when the museum bought this site the buuilding was in danger of collapsing and part of the Station Building was dismantled brick-by-brick down to the foundations and rebuilt. As the world's oldest surviving passenger railway station, the Station Building is now a Grade 1 listed building.
Favorite thing: The museums 5 main areas are:
1. Main Building - special exhibition gallery here plus Science Discoveries and Textile Trade collections
2. 1830 Warehouse - the world's oldest building. Electic Gallery here was interesting.
3. Station Building
4. Power Hall
5.Air and Space Hall
Fondest memory: The coach halls make marvellous spaces for the huge transport exhibits. Here flight transport of all types and models can be seen - there are gallery exhbits above the main hall too which gives a good oversight of the exhibits.
part of science museum
Favorite thing: Just as in Liverpool the museum here is now free. The science and industry museum is an amazing collection of exhibits - over 5 large units in the old train station complex on Liverpool Road in the Castlefield area. You could easily spend a whole day here or dip into different ssecions over several visits - all in one day would be museum overload I feel.
Special exhibitions - such as the Titantic exhibits do have an entrance fee payable though.
Check out the great museum website for opening times and whats on.
Seen here in the picture is the external view of part of the museum - the old victorian station buildings.
Sandy in the Sewer
Favorite thing: There is a fascinating section on water, its treatment, victorian wash houses and a reproduction victorian sewage system - complete with authentic smells!! This was one of the most interesting aspects of old Manchester life in the museum for me.
Favorite thing: It seems that Manchester is a fun place for all ages. This little girl was having so much fun playing with the water fountains of Piccadily gardens....and it was fun to watch her too ;-)
Fondest memory: The square of the Town Hall has been pedestrianised and often there is some event or other taking place here. When we arrived here there were barriers and a stage set up and lots of young girls around - they were obviously expecting some hero of theirs!
Well later we discovered it was radio concert and Peter Andre was the main event later on in the day. It just so happened that as we walked past here again after a meal he was just about to do his 15 minute set...so we stood and watched with the teeny boppers ;-0
Favorite thing: Manchester may have had an abundance of cows on parade in the summer of 2004 but there are also some sheep around. Tjis modern artwok is in the gardens by the roman fort remains in the Castlefied area.
More Reviews (28)
sandysmith's Related Pages
Manchester Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ben-UK's Manchester page"
- "My Manchester"
- "Manchester - Full of Surprises"
- "Manchester - a versatile city"
- "Manchester and the Christmas Markets"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Manchester
- Hotels in Manchester
- Transportation in Manchester
- Nightlife in Manchester
- Restaurants in Manchester
- Shopping in Manchester
- Warnings and Dangers in Manchester
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Manchester
- 44 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (220)
Have you been to Manchester?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manchester
- updated a Manchester Travel Page "Manchester - Full of Surprises"
- Posted in Travel Austria Forum "Re: Information on Ellmau for our..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Christmas Markets 2007 - VT Meet"
- Commented on one of carlrea's Manchester travel pages
- Wrote a Review Armenian Taverna about Armenian Taverna in Manchester Restaurants
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 110 reviews, 259 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 130 reviews, 166 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool Intro, 112 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 101 reviews, 158 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 114 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 94 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 43 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 74 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 40 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (103)
- Chinatown- 20 Reviews, 32 Photos
- Museum of Science and Industry- 27 Reviews, 76 Photos
- Old Trafford- 33 Reviews, 51 Photos
- Natural History Museum- 9 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Imperial War Museum- 13 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Castlefield- 17 Reviews, 31 Photos
- Salford Quays Lowry- 24 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Wheel- 12 Reviews, 43 Photos
- Christmas Market- 23 Reviews, 81 Photos
- Cathedral- 26 Reviews, 62 Photos
See All Manchester Things to Do