"Manchester - Full of Surprises" Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester by sandysmith

Manchester Travel Guide: 1,767 reviews and 4,104 photos

I thought it ws about time I visiteted Manchester - I'd seen so many European Cities abroad recently and was in danger of neglecting those nearest to my doorstep.
So this first Saturday in October 2004 a 40 minute train ride from Liverpool took us into the centre of Manchester. It turned into a lovely day of surprisies. Number 1 we had sunshine and managed to dodge the rain clouds:-))

It was also one of those days when you just happened to be at the right time - without knowing or planning to be! A leisurely wander around the town and seeing the sights of Manchester too with its mix of old and modern architectural styles.

In the market square by St Anne's food stalls galore were plying their culinary creations .... all as part of the festival of food we stumbled across. A visit to the cathedral co-incided with their weekend of Angels theme - the decorations and pictures on display inside gave an added interest. A trip up the tower in its tight spiral staircase was quite a feat too but gave some different views.

An early evening tea at one of those all you can eat buffet restaurants near China town and then we walked back to the town hall where a pop concert was going on, coutesy of Radio Galaxy - we were there just in time to see Peter Andre (hmm is that a good thing or bad?!).
Finally a stroll around Castlefields for some reflections in the evening light before heading home.

• In a nutshell:always something to do and discover
  • Last visit to Manchester: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 2, 2004

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2008 at 4:10 AM

Just had a re-visit to your Meet photos and tips! Some great photos! Gillybob greetings

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2007 at 11:09 AM

Looks like I never saw this page not just the Christmas markets. Old Wellingon looks fantastic. Think I need a UK visit!

• mustertal's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2007 at 1:07 PM

I've just found the Manchester meet photos, very nice.

• Jul 1, 2007 at 2:19 AM

soon I will be in Manchester August 4,07Hope your site will help me during my stay there. Thanks

• Oct 4, 2006 at 5:14 AM

lovely page

• gnt70's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2005 at 10:50 PM

the 'reflections' part, astonishing! nice page!

• steventilly's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2005 at 4:04 AM

Hmm, my comment is gone. I think I said something derisory about Peter Andre... ;-)

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2005 at 3:43 AM

Oh...Now you gave me a reall big (I'd say huge) reason to come back and see more of this wonderland called England, wonderful Manchester page Blondy ;-D the X-mas looks wonderful in Manchester ;-D

• Oct 20, 2004 at 5:13 AM

I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit, please do make time to look inside the Town Hall next time, you're free to walk in for a look!

• bugalugs's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2004 at 12:54 PM

Sandy you saw so much, you could guide me round. As for needing a brolly, some of your pics have blue skies! Never been in the Cathedral and didnt know you could go in the bell tower, excellent information, thanks

sandysmith

“THank you for the birthday wishes!”

Badges & Stats in Manchester

Have you been to Manchester?