Scarborough Transportation Tips by sandysmith Top 5 Page for this destination
Scarborough Transportation: 30 reviews and 34 photos
Saint Nicholas cliff railway
I enjoy riding cable-cars and funiculars but I reckon I could manage the cliffs without these lovely old cliff railways. Good for a novelty factor (approx 50 - 70 pence for a minute ride) and useful for those less mobile.
There used to be 5 in Scarborough but only 3 remain now - South Cliff, Central Tramway and Saint Nicholas Cliff Railways.
The Scarborough South Cliff Tramway Company Limited linked the South Cliff Esplanade with the South Sand (by the Spa Complex) in 1873 and claims fame as being the first funicular in the UK. See the website for details of all the cliff railway if interested.
Boat tours can be taken from the harbour and around the South bay - like this boat here which is a 1/3 replica of "The Hispaniola" (Long John Silver's boat). It didn't last too long though - easily less than an hour and not particularly good value I thought so one for the kids only I reckon.
Donkeys busy scoffing too
Donkey Rides are always a popular activity with the kids on the beach....except for the time being it was lunchtime......;-)
central tramway and station
Situated alongside a lovey old Victorian Tea Room - The Parlour Tea Room - is the Central Tramway (top station is near the rear of the Grand Hotel). This one was first opened to the public in August 1881 to link the city to the shore and it still operates in its original corporate form. Check out the website for some great pictures of the carriages and the charming station.
open top bus
This is one of several open top buses which run from the spa end of South Bay to the Cafe Corner of the North Bay at a cost of £1 each way. Its not a great distance - easily walked on the flat - but its saves time if you want to spend more time sightseeing or go onto another place :-)
More Reviews (23)
sandysmith's Related Pages
Scarborough Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The finest town on the Yorkshire coast"
- "Everything Changes & Nothing Changes"
- "Sun, Sea, Sand, at Scarborough"
- "My home town!"
- "More than a fair"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Scarborough
- Hotels in Scarborough
- Transportation in Scarborough
- Nightlife in Scarborough
- Restaurants in Scarborough
- Shopping in Scarborough
- Warnings and Dangers in Scarborough
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Scarborough
- 28 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (223)
Have you been to Scarborough?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Scarborough
Photos in ScarboroughSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 110 reviews, 259 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 130 reviews, 166 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool Intro, 112 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 101 reviews, 158 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 114 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 94 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 43 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 74 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 40 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue