Scarborough Off The Beaten Path Tips by sandysmith Top 5 Page for this destination
Scarborough Off The Beaten Path: 30 reviews and 39 photos
In one direction you can visit the evocative castle ruins and in the other the parish church of St Mary's The church was originally built around 1150 and was gradually extended over the centuries. Most people come here to visit the graveyard for a famous occupant....
There is not much left of the original St Mary's church - originally built around 1150. It was partially destroyed by return fire from the Royalists in the castle, resulting in these ruins which used to be the choir and north trancept. These ruins can be seen just near the graveyard and the main church.
The ruins os the castle on the promontory provide a fine lookout point. Throughout the summer, fairs and festivals celebrate days of yore with mock battles, pageantry, and falconry displays. The castle is open April through September daily from 9:30am to 6pm.
At the end of South bay by the old Toll House there is a path that climbs up to the castle walls and ruins - the church of St Mary's can also be reached this way. Look back for fine views over the harbour too.
Scarborough from Oliver's Mount
For the best final view of Scarborough our tour guides took us up to Oliver's Mount - a hill some 500 feet above Scarborough where there is a war memorial. Although clouded over a bit now it was a lovely final view before we headed off to Whitby.
Anne Bronte's grave
A little off the beaten path in the church graveyard up on the hill above the town, but many people come up here to see Anne Bronte's grave. Scarborough was a place she loved and was portrayed in both her novels - Agnes Grey and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. Scarborough was the place where she wished to open her own school, and the place where she ultimately died and was buried. She came to Scarborough from Haworth already dying of tuberculosis and, after only a few days passed away on May 28th, 1849.
More Reviews (22)
sandysmith's Related Pages
Scarborough Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The finest town on the Yorkshire coast"
- "Everything Changes & Nothing Changes"
- "Sun, Sea, Sand, at Scarborough"
- "My home town!"
- "More than a fair"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Scarborough
- Hotels in Scarborough
- Transportation in Scarborough
- Nightlife in Scarborough
- Restaurants in Scarborough
- Shopping in Scarborough
- Warnings and Dangers in Scarborough
- See All...
Explore the World
- Isle of Arran Off The Beaten Path
- Montpellier Off The Beaten Path
- Porec Off The Beaten Path
- Hemel Hempstead Off The Beaten Path
- Bilbao Off The Beaten Path
- Bad Soden am Taunus Off The Beaten Path
- Ras Al Khaimah Off The Beaten Path
- Perpignan Off The Beaten Path
- Phoenix Off The Beaten Path
- Bellingham Off The Beaten Path
- Kuala Lumpur Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Scarborough
- 28 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Scarborough?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Scarborough
Photos in ScarboroughSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 110 reviews, 259 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 130 reviews, 166 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool Intro, 112 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 101 reviews, 158 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 114 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 94 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 43 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 74 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 40 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (103)
Latest Scarborough hotel reviews
- Crown Spa Hotel Scarborough
- 1062 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- The Esplanade Hotel
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- East Ayton Lodge Country House
- 110 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Brooklands Hotel
- 575 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Raven Hall Country House Hotel
- 471 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- The Gresham Hotel
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 10, 2013
- Cumberland Hotel
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- New Southlands Hotel
- 152 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Green Gables Hotel
- 113 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- The Ambassador Hotel
- 439 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Fountains Court Holistic Health Hotel
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 1, 2013
- The Headlands Hotel
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 14, 2013
- The Windmill Bed & Breakfast
- 104 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Chatsworth Hotel
- 70 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 26, 2011