Snowdonia Off The Beaten Path Tips by sandysmith Top 5 Page for this destination
Snowdonia Off The Beaten Path: 18 reviews and 29 photos
Lake Crafnant is on the eastern edge of Snowdonia National Park. It is said to be the prettiest of a number of lakes in the area above the small village of Trefriw., near Llanwrst in the Vale of Conwy. Lake Crafnant is a 63 acre natural mountain lake, some ¾ of a mile long and is situated in a glorious mountain setting. Its a popular place for walking - fairly easy trails. Crafnant takes its name from “craf”, an old Welsh word for garlic, and “nant”, a stream. Even today the valley of Afon Crafnant smells of wild garlic when it flowers.
We made the 6 mile hike around the head of Lyn Crafnant, with its craggy peaked scenery,to the neighbouring lake of Llyn Geirionydd, which runs parallel to it, but a mile distant/ A short ascent through the forest trail of Mynydd Deulyn – “mountain of the two lakes" is made (approx 200m ascent). The western shore of Llyn Geirionydd is followed and then a track back to Lyn Crafnant via some derelict Pandora slate quarries. This second lake is the only one designated in Snowdonia to permit power boats and water skiing. A varied walk - allow about 3 hours. Well waymarked with colour codes for the trails.
...and here's another couple of reflections looking towards the bridge (opposite direction to Snowdon)
gentle scenery of Cwm Pennant
A lesser known Cwim in Snowdonia is Cwm Pennant. here you can follow a 3 mile route path to the end of the valley passing ruins of old slate quarries. Peaceful scenery and a gentle stream along the valley floor. Its even worthwhile to have a drive here if not up to walking.
Directions: In Tremadog take the A487 to Caernarfon. Pass through Penmorfa and then near the crest of the hill turn right (signposted "Woollen Mill"). Continue for 1.5 miles, passing Bryncir Woollen Mill, to a narrow right turn- signposted with Cwm Pennant.
A desolate valley behind Beddgelert affords rugged Snowdonia scenery and you will also come across remanants of forming mining industry here...long since abandoned but relics remain as reminders - watch your footing here for the metal in the ground!
The walk here begins just above the Aberglasslyn Bridge where there is a convenient car park.
distant Snowdon Reflection
Just by the lake near Capel Curig is the perfect place for those Snowdonia reflections.... Cross the stile by the road and head for the little bridge for some fabulous views.
Nant Gywnant View
This beautiful valley slices through the mountains to the north-east of Beddgelert, its narrow floor largely filled by two idyllic lakes, Llyn Dinas and Llyn Gwynant. As the A498 climbs the shoulder of the Nant Gwynant pass there are panoramic views of Snowdon and its neighbouring peaks and there's a handy little cark park where you can pull in off the road to take in this stunning view.
More Reviews (30)
- Trefriw Trails
- See All Cwm Idwal and Devil's Kitchen
- See All View from Pont-y-Pair
- See All Tu Hwnt I'r Bont - lets eat!
sandysmith's Related Pages
Snowdonia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Snowdonia National Park"
- "Snowdonia's Splendid Scenery"
- "Snowdonia Splendour"
- "SNOWDON CLIMB"
- "Buzzards shriek............."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Snowdonia
- Hotels in Snowdonia
- Transportation in Snowdonia
- Nightlife in Snowdonia
- Restaurants in Snowdonia
- Shopping in Snowdonia
- Warnings and Dangers in Snowdonia
- See All...
Explore the World
- Malvern Hotels
- Hilo Hotels
- Vintar Hotels
- Tobyhanna Hotels
- Parish of Saint Elizabeth
- Alexandria Off The Beaten Path
- Province of the Western Cape Off The Beaten Path
- Sydney Off The Beaten Path
- Jacques-Cartier National Park
- Dominican Republic Off The Beaten Path
- Changi Beach & Changi Village
- Canada Off The Beaten Path
- Syracuse Off The Beaten Path
- New Territories
- Muscat Off The Beaten Path
- Sian Ka'an
Badges & Stats in Snowdonia
- 36 Reviews
- 85 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 33 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Snowdonia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Snowdonia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 110 reviews, 259 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 130 reviews, 166 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool Intro, 112 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 101 reviews, 158 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 114 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 94 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 43 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 74 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 40 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (103)
Latest Snowdonia hotel reviews
- Best Western Waterloo Hotel
- 164 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013