"Discovering the Wigan Way" Wigan by sandysmith

Wigan Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 47 photos

Wigan was a former coal mining and cotton mill town. We came here to take a look at the famously riddiculed Wigan Pier and the museum of Victorian life here - but found it closed:-S Never the less we just as much enjoyed walking around, discovering the public art in and around the town.

Another day we will return to tackle the 8 mile circular walk - " The Wigan Way" from the Pier along the canal towpaths and woods to Haigh Hall country park estate - when its a more sunny day hopefully.

• Pros:shops, art and country/canal trails
  • Cons:museum is closed on a Saturday :-SS
  • In a nutshell:industrial heritage and art
  • Last visit to Wigan: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 26, 2005

• taigaa001's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Wigan seems to be a nice mid-sized city. nice work.

• iaint's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2009 at 11:21 PM

very useful - I'm going to see the warriors play Catalans on Friday, and wanted ideas in case I have any spare time!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2005 at 6:15 PM

I reckon I'd like to be granted possession of at least half those 20 ales on tap! :=D Nice to see you are out researching some choice watering holes if I ever make good on my promise of a UK return.

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2005 at 4:37 PM

Sandy, you just keep churning them out don't you? Another thing that the average visitor would pass by without a second glance. I am fascinated by war memorials myself. Keep it up. fergy.

• steventilly's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2005 at 2:28 AM

Sounds like you were disappointed a lot in Wigan. And next year they'll have the disappointment of relegation too. Poor mites.

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2005 at 4:16 AM

Sandy, I am so happy to be the first one to congratulate on this fine page! Wigan was my first place in the UK to visit, since we had a school exchange there! I don't recognize much, but I guess as a 15 year old, you have other priorities... ;-)

sandysmith

“THank you for the birthday wishes!”

Badges & Stats in Wigan