Willaston Local Custom Tips by sandysmith
Willaston Local Customs: 4 reviews and 4 photos
On display at the fete day of the Scarecrow festival were these beautiful Bernese dogs - there were so many of them! Several had these swiss carts to pull with the local produce - just seemed a shame that the owners had never been to Switzerland though!
Please enlarge pic to see the collage better :-)
village green - fete day
The Saturday of the Scarecrow Festival week and the normally quiet village green is taken over with a funfair and stalls with chaity games like dunk a pirate and country products for sale. Each stallholdeer dresses a scarecrow too and an award is given for the best one. It was lovely to have a sunny day for it and to see families having a real fun day out.
me and Admire al Nelson
Since 1999 the village of Thornton Hough has held a yearly scarecrow festival - it has been gaining increased attraction and in 2004 won the Mersey Award Tourism Award for ‘Small Event of the Year’.
Each year has a theme - and in 2005 its was a nautical theme to tie in with the regions Year of the Sea.
I'll take some pics for this years event and put them in some travelogues and the web link below will take you to a gallery of last years entries - there are some great ones in there like Homer and Anne Robinson
The whole village joins in with the week long festical and it draws crowds from quite a distance. Virtually all the gardens on an estate in the village have scarecows of some type or another and all around the houses by the village green too - even the church roof! Its a really colourful fun event. A lot of effort is put into them and with donations going to local charities its all worth while. Lots more pics in the travelogues below.
More Reviews (23)
- Festival Transport
- See All The Smithy
- See All Willaston Green
- Country Walk
sandysmith's Related Pages
Willaston Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wirral Wandering - Willaston and Around"
- "Pollards bar food in Willaston, Curry Night"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Willaston
- Hotels in Willaston
- Transportation in Willaston
- Restaurants in Willaston
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Willaston
- 27 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Willaston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Willaston
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 110 reviews, 259 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 130 reviews, 166 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool Intro, 112 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 101 reviews, 158 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 114 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 94 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 43 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 74 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 40 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue