Isla de La Palma Off The Beaten Path Tips by sandysmith
Isla de La Palma Off The Beaten Path: 13 reviews and 29 photos
Lomo de las chozas
The National Park Caldera de Taburiente, is a protected area of Spain and there are many wonderful viewpoints of it on La Palma. A broad easy path, 20 minute from the car park at 'La Cumbrecita', goes to the viewing point 'Mirador Lomos de La Chozas'. Here there are wonderful views down into the Caldera de Taburiente - one of my favoutite spots on the island. To get here its a lovely drive up an excellent mountain road through the pine forest - but make sure you stop at the El Paso information centre first and get a ticket - its free to use the road but numbers going up aare restricted due to space at the top. In busy periods you may have to wait your turn - your ticket number will be called in the centre. Fortunately we didn't have to wait - just had to return to get our ticket - as many others did! There were no signs on the road that tickets are needed.
In the North East of La Palma are several small charming villages by the plantations. San Andrés is just one of such villages. Cobbled street leads steeply down to the coastk in the village square at the end of a days sightseing and watch the sunset.
Ls Tricas Cottage
On the north west side of the island its more rural and ideal for scenic village hikes along old paths.
Las Tricas is the departure point for walks taking in the old village cottages and flora. Whilst we didn't walk here we enjoyed the vistas and a coffee in the large open square.
The Dragon Trees - Dracaena Draco is a member of the Agave family with leathery green leaves, white flowers and bright orange seedpods. The sap is red - the so called "dragons blood". Many examples can be seen on La Palma and an easily accessible one can be seen close to the road just before entering Puntagorda from the South. There is a small parking area which we happily pulled into - it was one of those pleasant discoveries on a road tour. A few steps and a short path lead up from the roadside so you can get a better view. The view across the countrside was lovely too.
The towards Puntagorga and Barvolento from the south is full of intersting surprises - a real scenic route - from old derelict winmills to caves in the rocky barrancoes. We spent a lot of time stopping and enjoying the surprise finds on our journey.
More Reviews (16)
sandysmith's Related Pages
Isla de La Palma Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "La Palma"
- "Isla de la Palma"
- "Isla Bonita"
- "La Palma island, everlasting springtime"
- "Palma - La Isla Bonita"
- "la caldera del taburiente. going out"
- "La Isla Bonita"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla de La Palma
- Hotels in Isla de La Palma
- Transportation in Isla de La Palma
- Nightlife in Isla de La Palma
- Restaurants in Isla de La Palma
- Shopping in Isla de La Palma
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla de La Palma
- See All...
Explore the World
- Tyburn Hotels
- Pomorie Hotels
- Busto Arsizio Hotels
- Crossdoney Hotels
- Las Negras
- Worthing Off The Beaten Path
- Saumur Off The Beaten Path
- De Haan Off The Beaten Path
- Hampshire Off The Beaten Path
- Newport Beach Off The Beaten Path
- Eritrea Off The Beaten Path
- Mount Charleston
- Eskilstuna Off The Beaten Path
- Zadar Off The Beaten Path
- Asturias Off The Beaten Path
- Dumaguete City Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Isla de La Palma
- 21 Reviews
- 86 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Isla de La Palma?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla de La Palma
Photos in Isla de La PalmaSee All Photos (86)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 110 reviews, 259 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 130 reviews, 166 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool Intro, 112 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 101 reviews, 158 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 114 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 94 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 43 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 74 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 40 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue