Isla de La Palma Favorite Tips by sandysmith
Isla de La Palma Favorites: 15 reviews and 41 photos
Favorite thing: Tazacorte is a sleepy beach town with a lovely beach area. Really hot when we visited. Nice cafes to sit in behind the beach and promenade area, a real chill out unspoilt place. A playground was being refurbishesd during our visit so that was a little bit of an eyesore but still this would definitely be a favoutite place to catch the rays in a pretty place - its claim to fame is as the warmest place on La Plama. The narrow harbour streets are lined with colourful old La Palma houses. Tazacorte is located at the bottom of Valle de Aridane, some 6km from Los Llanos.
Favorite thing: Puerto Naxos is another developed beach resort, this time on the sunnier west side of the island. Often the most sunniest place to be - just not so when we visited. Good promenade lined with beach bar cafes and shops on the pavement side. Big hotels and many apartments and souvenir shops. Not my choice of resort, bit too touristic for my liking but good amount of sand. I preferred the beach at Cancajos but the weather is more consistent on the west side. Was a popular spot for paragliders to jump off the cliffs behind the resort and land on the beach.
Favorite thing: El Paso is the largest council area on the island and is the only one which does not have a coast.
Its virtually in hte centre of La Palma Island. Its a pretty colourful town with its houses, churches, open air arena for festivals and silk museum. Also good for shopping with a large superstore. There is a good tourist office here with plenty of information on what to do and whats going on in La Plama.
Favorite thing: InOn the nothwest of La Palma in the Puntagorda area you can see some really colourful bus stops - works of art not graffitti. In 2007 the Puntagorda Council asked local artist Goretti to decorate all the bus shelters within the council area with scenes typical of Puntagorda. She designed and, over a period of months, painted all 8 bus shelters with different designs.
We saw a few and of course just had to stop to photo one - this one is on the main road past Puntagorda just before the turn off to El Fayal and the market (Mercadillo). It shows scenes from the farmers market, which is held every Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.
Favorite thing: Just a few km above Puerto de Tazacorte is the Mirador El Time - a popular lookout point at 510m above sea level. You could take the path up bit its easier to take the path down, zig-zagging down the cliff to the harbour. We didn't do either but we did stop here a couple of times in the car for the views, especially good at sunset. A cafe is here too if you want a snack/drink.
The path is clearly signposted at either end of the walk.
Favorite thing: Pretty town, very colourful. One of the best area for growing bananas in the Canaries. Below the town via a winding road up and down a ravine is its port area - Puerto de Tazacorte. The views across the plantations and to the ocean are beautiful. Colourful houses, some with balconies and a quaint church add to the delight of this town.
Favorite thing: Los Cancajos is the main tourist centre on the east side of the island of La Palma and where we were based. Having said that its not over developed and retains a pleasant low key atmsophere. Shops and tapas bars line the main road. There is also a coastal path along the front linking the bays and black volcanic sand - unfortunately the path does not extend all the way into Santa Cruz. If the path is chosen you have to climb many steps to get up to the road to continue the walk into the capital - takes about 30 minutes from the hotel. The beaches are pleasantly situated in small coves and never looked crowded.
There are a couple of excellent bars at the back ot the beaches and the food being served up there looked authentic and tasty.
More Reviews (14)
sandysmith's Related Pages
Isla de La Palma Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "La Palma"
- "Isla de la Palma"
- "Isla Bonita"
- "La Palma island, everlasting springtime"
- "Palma - La Isla Bonita"
- "la caldera del taburiente. going out"
- "La Isla Bonita"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla de La Palma
- Hotels in Isla de La Palma
- Transportation in Isla de La Palma
- Nightlife in Isla de La Palma
- Restaurants in Isla de La Palma
- Shopping in Isla de La Palma
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla de La Palma
- See All...
Explore the World
- Sankt Michaelisdonn Hotels
- Vic Hotels
- Agoo Hotels
- Ludo Hotels
- East Liverpool
- Otok Lopud
Badges & Stats in Isla de La Palma
- 21 Reviews
- 86 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Isla de La Palma?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla de La Palma
Photos in Isla de La PalmaSee All Photos (86)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 110 reviews, 259 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 130 reviews, 166 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool Intro, 112 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 101 reviews, 158 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 114 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 94 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 43 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 74 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 40 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue