Atrani Things to Do Tips by sandysmith
Atrani Things to Do: 10 reviews and 10 photos
front view Santa Maria Maddelena
Wander up the maze of alleways to the chuch and see the scaffolding on the bell tower :-S
There's always some scafffolding on some historic buildiing isn't there. Never mind the brone doors can still be seen and the white plaster against the blue sky really stands out.
The bronze doors came from Constantinople, manufactured in 1087. They were orded by Pantaleone Viaretta who also doated the bronze doors of the duomo in Amalfi some 20 years earlier.
The main square of Atrani, Piazza Umberto I, is dominated by the beautiful church of San Salvatore de Birecto. It has been restored and modified several times in neoclassic style but originally dates from 904.
Although the road can be busy it does provide a great view of Atrani with its many layes and storied houses - just be careful of the traffic! I manged to get this shot as we passed by on a bus another day so I was quite safe - and incidently is one of my favourite views of Antrani. It has such depth with the cliffs above and the buildings squeezing behind into the narrow Valley of Dragone with its mountain villages.
whitewashed stps down to Atrani
Walking down into Atrani is the best way to appreciate the quaintness of this wonderful village on the Amalfi coast. Follow any of the maze of whitewashed steps just past the Chiesa del Carmine and you will soon be in the main square of Atrani - Piazza Umberto I - more info in general tips.
Chieas del carmine
At the top end of the village of Atrani is this lovely old church - Chiesa del Carmine - which we passed on our walk to Atrani from Scala. Adjacent to the church is the town's old cemetry which was used unitl the end of 1800's.
"back" view of Maddelena
The Collegiata of Santa Maria Maddalena has also been modified several times since its construction in 1274. Its front is in southern italian barocco style, its dome and its bell tower soon became the symbol of this small sea town with the typical majolica domes and belltower.
Again we didn't make it inside the church but the artwork of Andrea da Salerno, l' "Incredulità di San Tommaso" can be seen inside.
San Salvatore clock tower
It was at San Salvatore de Birecto that the Dogi of the republic of Amalfi were elected and crowned with thier traditional pointed hats. What a ceremony that must heave been!
Unfortunately we could not go inside as a mass was taking place. - instead we just sat in a cafe in the square admiring the external detail like the clock tower - loved the way you get this different layers effect with the other buidlings in front and behind.
sandysmith's Related Pages
Atrani Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Atrani - Italy"
- "Tiny village, away from the tourist crowd ..."
- "M.C. Escher was here"
- "La Vita e Bella"
- "Atrani - hidden from crowds"
- See All...
Explore the World
- Duncannon Hotels
- Syros Island Hotels
- Deerfield Beach
- Isola d' Elba Hotels
- Mount Blue State Park Hotels
Badges & Stats in Atrani
- 18 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Atrani?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Atrani
Photos in AtraniSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 110 reviews, 259 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 130 reviews, 166 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool Intro, 112 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 101 reviews, 158 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 114 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 94 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 43 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 74 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 40 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue