"Maggiore Memories" Top 5 Page for this destination Lago Maggiore by sandysmith

Lago Maggiore Travel Guide: 117 reviews and 237 photos

Well this certainly is a trip down memory lane - its more than 10 years now since I visited this area but I remember it well. Lake Maggiore, the second largest lake in Italy, is one of my favourite italian lakes. With its excellent rail and ferry connections its easy to explore the area. Lake Maggiore has Piedomont on its west bank, Lombardy on its east and Switzerland at its northern tip. I spent a few days in this area at a little place called Porto Valtravaglia - a very quiet untouristic village but with lake ferry service, the opposite side of the lake from Stressa, Baveno and Pallanza which are the better known tourist resorts.

An ideal way to see this area is to buy a boat ticket for the day or several days and discover the picturesque lakeside resorts and the beautiful Borromean islands (Is. Bella - Madre - Pescatori) with their palaces and ornate gardens, set like jewels in its centre.

• In a nutshell:delightful scenic lake
  • Last visit to Lago Maggiore: Dec 1993
  • Intro Updated Oct 30, 2004

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2006 at 4:14 AM

Keep looking for something new but at least I keep finding things I've not seen! I see not only a young SS but Dave is looking pretty dapper too. And is that the first cable car? ;)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2005 at 12:32 AM

White peacock - incredible !! Lovely page Sandy, and brings back memories of a very past for me :-) I must have been a baby those days :-) BTW thanks for Coyhaique and the bookmark :-)

• Jun 23, 2005 at 12:25 AM

another superb page sandy, i just love the greenery of the area! too many places to see in northern italy, not enough time! oh well, i'll return for sure, and include maggiore this time! cheers.

• basstbn's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2005 at 11:17 AM

Delightful pages with extremely helpful commentary. I shall return to your pages when planning a trip to Lago Maggiore.

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2004 at 12:45 PM

Another place that I should put on my list of places in Italy to visit. I didn't know that the area is so lovely.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2004 at 3:23 PM

What a lovely scenery and great pics ! ...Isola Bella is in fact una isola bella...

• tak_pap's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2004 at 10:52 AM

beautiful photos - great site

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2004 at 5:23 AM

And I just LOVE that Blondy friend making thpose wonderful pages ;-D

• Aurorae's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2004 at 11:17 AM

I just LOVE Lago Maggiore! Great start with this page! looking forward to more...

sandysmith

“THank you for the birthday wishes!”

Badges & Stats in Lago Maggiore

Have you been to Lago Maggiore?

Latest Activity in Lago Maggiore