Montepulciano Things to Do Tips by sandysmith
Montepulciano Things to Do: 38 reviews and 61 photos
Montepulciano's main square is well named, it certainly is grand and on such a theatrical scale. It is built on the highest point of the ridge, a fine setting for the Duomo. However it is the 13th century gothic PALAZZO COMUNALE which is most striking. Michelozzo's tower, an imitation of the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence. This can be climbed for the best view of the square and surrounding tuscan counrtyside. Its free but take note it is closed on Sundays.
We enjoyed a rest in the square here, having climbed up the hill, with a coffee and drinking in all the amazing architecture around us.
The fortress was difficult to photo and I don't think you could enter, its partly occupied by houses now. Anyway best of all is the view from here....drink this is, beautiful tuscan countryside.
Before you enter the gate you wil need to catch your breath to climb up to the Piazza Grande and fortress - so pause for a while and admire the churches of Santa Lucia and San Francesco from this angle. They can be passed on the way down.
This palazzo is just by the fountain and is quite novel in that a public loggia has been cut through at on corner. Originally it had an extension on the third floor, but this has now been bricked in.
Nezxt to it in this pic is the Palazzo Cantucci where you can sample some of the famous Vino Nobile - Montepulciano's wine trademark.
This beautiful rustic fountain is situated in the Piazza Grande.
This tower house is a rare feature in Montepulciano. On the top is a figure of a clown, the PULCINELLA, which striles the hours on the town clock. It is purported to have been errected by an exiled bishop from Naples - hence a rarity in Tuscany.
More Reviews (2)
sandysmith's Related Pages
Montepulciano Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful Montepulciano"
- "Beautiful beautiful beautiful"
- "A Hilltop Tuscan Treasure"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montepulciano
- Hotels in Montepulciano
- Transportation in Montepulciano
- Restaurants in Montepulciano
- Shopping in Montepulciano
- See All...
Explore the World
- Zichron Yaakov
- Marianske Lazne
- Provincia de La Altagracia Hotels
- Pahautane Hotels
- Santa Maria de L'Estany Hotels
- Villers-la-Ville Hotels
Badges & Stats in Montepulciano
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Montepulciano?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montepulciano
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 110 reviews, 259 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 130 reviews, 166 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool Intro, 112 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 101 reviews, 158 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 114 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 94 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 43 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 74 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 40 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (103)
Latest Montepulciano hotel reviews
- Farmhouse IL Fienile Montepulciano
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 12, 2012
- Meuble' il Riccio Hotel
- 312 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 28, 2012
- Le Manzinaie
- 165 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 1, 2013
- Albergo Ristorante Sangallo
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Il Marzocco
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Fattoria San Martino
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2012
- Villa Poggiano
- 98 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Relais San Bruno
- 83 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Camere Bellavista
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013