"Paestum's Temples" Top 5 Page for this destination Paestum by sandysmith
Paestum Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 195 photos
Thanks to Sim1's page I knew about these marvellously preserved temples. So when I knew a trip was possible here on our recent italian holiday I jumped at the chance.
The ancient city of Paestum is just a few miles south of Salerno - a good couple of hours drive from our base in Scala (we took an organised tour) but it was well worth it and we got some stunning views of the Amalfi coast - as well as a good laugh at the driving on the renowned narrow Amalfi coast road.
There are 3 temples to admire - in better preservation than many of those in Greece:
The southernmost of the temples, the Basilica, was built about 530 B.C., with the Temple of Poseidon dating from about 460 B.C. The third, farther north...is the Temple of Ceres (Athena), from about 510 B.C.
Many other ruins of a roman town are also clearly evident and the museum has some marvellous exhibits too from the temples.
- Pros:wonderfully preserved temples, a joy to stroll amongst in peace
- In a nutshell:great doric architecture.
All eight bronze jars were made by highly skilled and techonologically advanced craftsmen, and they must have... more travel advice
This shrine contained very rich offerings - all now in the museum. On the floor of the shrine were placed eight large... more travel advice
sandysmith's Related Pages
Paestum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Paestum's Temples"
- "The temples of Paestum"
- "Paestum - Magna Graecia"
- "Paestum - a hidden gem"
- "Greek Monuments in Italy/Paestum"
- "An other UNESCO World Heritage Site"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paestum
- Hotels in Paestum
- Transportation in Paestum
- Nightlife in Paestum
- Restaurants in Paestum
- Warnings and Dangers in Paestum
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paestum
- 29 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (220)
Have you been to Paestum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paestum
Photos in PaestumSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 110 reviews, 259 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 130 reviews, 166 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool Intro, 112 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 101 reviews, 158 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 114 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 94 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 43 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 74 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 40 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue