"Paestum's Temples" Top 5 Page for this destination Paestum by sandysmith

Paestum Travel Guide: 96 reviews and 224 photos

Greek Gems in Italy

Thanks to Sim1's page I knew about these marvellously preserved temples. So when I knew a trip was possible here on our recent italian holiday I jumped at the chance.

The ancient city of Paestum is just a few miles south of Salerno - a good couple of hours drive from our base in Scala (we took an organised tour) but it was well worth it and we got some stunning views of the Amalfi coast - as well as a good laugh at the driving on the renowned narrow Amalfi coast road.

There are 3 temples to admire - in better preservation than many of those in Greece:
The southernmost of the temples, the Basilica, was built about 530 B.C., with the Temple of Poseidon dating from about 460 B.C. The third, farther north...is the Temple of Ceres (Athena), from about 510 B.C.

Many other ruins of a roman town are also clearly evident and the museum has some marvellous exhibits too from the temples.

• Pros:wonderfully preserved temples, a joy to stroll amongst in peace
  • Cons:none
  • In a nutshell:great doric architecture.
  • Last visit to Paestum: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 2, 2003

• Turska's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2011 at 1:55 AM

Intresting looking place. must put it at our "maybe" list, if we will have enought time, on our one week trip to Sorrento at March. :)

• MM212's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2007 at 3:18 AM

Excellent page with great photos of a place I did not know existed! Not enough time to go next week when I'm in Rome. Perhaps on another trip. Many thanks for sharing!

• Superhans's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2006 at 7:32 AM

great page, love the photos.

• dvideira's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2004 at 9:55 PM

I was planning going to Paestum while I was in Costiera, but I missed it , unfortunately... You page kind of fill in the gap for me. Great tips and pics.

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2004 at 5:19 PM

A fantastic site. Someplace definetly worthy of a visit.

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2004 at 4:23 PM

Your Paestum page is fantastic! I have a lot of work to do on my Paestum page yet, but I'll be working on it!

• Bonobo2005's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2003 at 5:30 AM

600BC? wow...I never saw structures that old. These ruins are so well preserved! Must have a special day, wandering around this Paestum! Thanks!

• cbeaujean's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2003 at 9:07 AM

one of the hottest and most exceptional ancien site through italy (with agrigente,sicily)...and one of the most ignored too!tks for bringing back a lot of nice written tips and good memories,as the "tomb of the diver" one!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2003 at 4:08 PM

What an interesting location and excellent pics ! I have been so close, but did not go further than just Pompeji :-(((

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2003 at 11:54 AM

Excellent page Sandy! I am so glad you liked it so much! I really loved it here, and like you , I am amazed that so few people seem to visit and know about this place. But it does make Paestum special though, so quiet, so different to busy Pompeii.

sandysmith

“THank you for the birthday wishes!”

Badges & Stats in Paestum

Have you been to Paestum?

Latest Activity in Paestum