Pescasseroli Off The Beaten Path Tips by sandysmith
Pescasseroli Off The Beaten Path: 9 reviews and 9 photos
In this section I'd like to take you on a virtual journey up to the evocative ruins of Castel Mancino with their great views over Pescasseroli.....
To reach the ruins stand as if coming out of the town hall - the Municipio - in the town centre turn left and half left again towards the Pensione al Castello. Take the road between the pensione and the Ufficio del Zona. The old town centre is on your right as you walk up the road. Turn right at a T-junction - it shoud be signed for the Castel anyway. - and then onto the Via Castel - very appropriate - on your left.
Continue on the Via Castello past a hairpin bend - you will see stations of the cross along the way. The road ends shortly at the cemetry. At the fifth station you will see a sentiero natura signpost leading into the trees which is our path.
chapel of the Madonna
Another longish hike is to the Santuario (chapel) di Monte Tranquillo - worth it for the views.
For more details of this hike and to see the views from these steps check out the sports tip section!
birds eye view of Pescasseroli
..but most of all I liked the view of the town and all the rooftops, seeing how it was laid out and with the River Sangro trickling through.
what a view!
Its worth the hike up - just look at the view of the National Park around - in the distance the ski-lift hill can be seen at the far end of the town.
path up to the castle.
This castel with its commanding position and views over Pescasseroli was once a pre-Roman fortified township.
pathway to the castle
The pathway up to the castle is a little bit steeper and stonier towards the top but it only takes about 40 - 50 minutes in total and then you have great views over the town amidst the castle ruins.
castel mancino ruins
The path zig-zags up fairly easily through the trees. Parts of the ruins can be passed at several places.
More Reviews (44)
- See All Pizzeria
- See All The view from the Sanctuary
- See All Hike to the castel
- See All Back to Basics
sandysmith's Related Pages
Pescasseroli Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Pescasseroli
- Hotels in Pescasseroli
- Transportation in Pescasseroli
- Nightlife in Pescasseroli
- Restaurants in Pescasseroli
- Shopping in Pescasseroli
- See All...
Explore the World
- Boayan Island
- Whitby Hotels
- Øm Kloster Hotels
- Butterworth Hotels
- Pontevedra Hotels
- Agrigento Off The Beaten Path
- Liguria Off The Beaten Path
- Ethiopia Off The Beaten Path
- Romania Off The Beaten Path
- Rotorua Off The Beaten Path
- Los Tres Ojos - The 3 Eyes National Park
- Brazil Off The Beaten Path
- Banff Off The Beaten Path
- Cebu Island Off The Beaten Path
- Chapada Diamantina
- Torres del Paine Off The Beaten Path
- Dresden Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Pescasseroli
- 52 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Pescasseroli?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pescasseroli
Photos in PescasseroliSee All Photos (54)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 110 reviews, 259 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 130 reviews, 166 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool Intro, 112 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 101 reviews, 158 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 114 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 94 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 43 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 74 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 40 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue