"Picture Postcard Positano" Top 5 Page for this destination Positano by sandysmith
Positano Travel Guide: 305 reviews and 633 photos
We first visited Positano on our honeymoon, March 1985 taking a bus driving south from Sorrento. The the road climbed towards the Colli di San Pietro, then descended into Positano. Once a sleepy little fishing village and the secret of painters and writers, its beauty has long since been discovered. We enjoyed a re-visit 18 years later, even despite it being more populated by tourists.
The Amalfi coastline is a driver's nightmare - constantly going forwards, then backwards and a bit further forward - squeezing past coaches and irate italian drivers. But do it - its worthwhile and so much fun watching the animated italians.
Positano lies at southern feet of the Mounts Lattari, protecting it from the Northwinds, and thus enjoys the advantages of a mild, dry climate. It is surrounded by green mounts, which form a sort of crown: Mount Comune, Mt. S. Maria del Castello, Mt. S. Angelo a Tre Pizzi (1444 metres high), Mt. Conocchia, Mt. Campo dei Galli and Mt. Paipo; towards south and east the gaze sweeps over the sea up to Punta Licosa and Capri. Three miles away from the coast a little arcipelago rises from the sea - "Li Galli" or "Sirenuse" - composed by three islands: "Gallo Lungo", "Rotonda", "Castelluccio".
On our recent visit we reached Positano by walking the Sentiero Degli Dei -"the pathway of the gods" from Bomerano. This 3-4 hour walk gives great coastal views from high above but be prepared for a long descent down many steps!!
- Pros:stunning scenery, designer boutiques.
- In a nutshell:a must visit on the Amalfi coast
As we sailed past Positano and the coastline back to Amalfi we tried to pick out the cliff where we had walked - but... more travel advice
If its not a clothes shop then its odds on to be a shoe shop in Positano - so if shoes are your thiing then this is the... more travel advice
sandysmith's Related Pages
Positano Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Picture Postcard Positano"
- "Up at the Villa"
- "Beautiful Positano."
- "Costa Amalfi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Positano
- Hotels in Positano
- Transportation in Positano
- Nightlife in Positano
- Restaurants in Positano
- Shopping in Positano
- Warnings and Dangers in Positano
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Positano
- 34 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Positano?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Positano
Photos in PositanoSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 110 reviews, 259 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 130 reviews, 166 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool Intro, 112 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 101 reviews, 158 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 114 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 94 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 43 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 74 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 40 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue