"Picture Postcard Positano" Top 5 Page for this destination Positano by sandysmith

Positano Travel Guide: 305 reviews and 633 photos

We first visited Positano on our honeymoon, March 1985 taking a bus driving south from Sorrento. The the road climbed towards the Colli di San Pietro, then descended into Positano. Once a sleepy little fishing village and the secret of painters and writers, its beauty has long since been discovered. We enjoyed a re-visit 18 years later, even despite it being more populated by tourists.

The Amalfi coastline is a driver's nightmare - constantly going forwards, then backwards and a bit further forward - squeezing past coaches and irate italian drivers. But do it - its worthwhile and so much fun watching the animated italians.

Positano lies at southern feet of the Mounts Lattari, protecting it from the Northwinds, and thus enjoys the advantages of a mild, dry climate. It is surrounded by green mounts, which form a sort of crown: Mount Comune, Mt. S. Maria del Castello, Mt. S. Angelo a Tre Pizzi (1444 metres high), Mt. Conocchia, Mt. Campo dei Galli and Mt. Paipo; towards south and east the gaze sweeps over the sea up to Punta Licosa and Capri. Three miles away from the coast a little arcipelago rises from the sea - "Li Galli" or "Sirenuse" - composed by three islands: "Gallo Lungo", "Rotonda", "Castelluccio".

On our recent visit we reached Positano by walking the Sentiero Degli Dei -"the pathway of the gods" from Bomerano. This 3-4 hour walk gives great coastal views from high above but be prepared for a long descent down many steps!!

• Pros:stunning scenery, designer boutiques.
  • Cons:tourists!
  • In a nutshell:a must visit on the Amalfi coast
  • Last visit to Positano: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Jun 27, 2003

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2007 at 11:38 PM

Ah, lovely, this hiking trail looks gorgeous ! Plus the flowers all over, ah yes, I really should put it on my wishlist :-)) But maybe staying in one of the mountain villages. When have you been there ? Morning smiles across the channel :-)

• mrpersonality's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2006 at 10:37 AM

Fantastic reviews, great photos, very useful for my clients, and myself. Thank you

• londonlover's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2005 at 3:13 PM

I'm planning a stop here next September. Thanks for the helpful hints! Beautiful photos.

• Callistoe's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2005 at 11:18 AM

Your "Positano Style" photo is stunning, you succeeded in capturing the true beauty of the landscape, and it is no easy task to do the place any justice in a photograph...brings back great memories!

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2005 at 5:04 AM

Looks like a very quaint and picturesque town. Nice tips and pics.

• arni_ph075's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2005 at 4:28 AM

Amazing Positano travel page. I just watch last weekend on cable Only You, which was shoot in Positano.. its beautiful .. Thanks for sharing

• mazzap's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2005 at 4:02 PM

I have wanted to visit Positano since seeing it on a VT member's page ages ago. A friend recently tried to put me off by saying it was too touristy - now I want to go BADLY having seen your tips and pics!! Love your "Steeper Steps..." pic - Marion x.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2004 at 12:55 PM

Brilliant! I only found out about the high trails when it was too late to do them. Glad someone made it.

• Sandi-2004's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2004 at 11:42 AM

We loved Positano -- who couldn't. Your pages & photos are so thorough. Thanks for filling me in on what I missed while there.

• rozehill's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2004 at 10:06 PM

Montepertuso looks equally as charming. I like all the steps, must have a good view from the top!

sandysmith

“THank you for the birthday wishes!”

Badges & Stats in Positano

Have you been to Positano?

Latest Activity in Positano