Tivoli Favorite Tips by sandysmith Top 5 Page for this destination
Tivoli Favorites: 18 reviews and 23 photos
the long and winding road...
Fondest memory: Meandering through the narrow town streets with the rustic coloured buildings with peace flags..the sun trying to light up the terracotta buildings in the narrow passageways.
narrow street in Tivoli
Favorite thing: The old part of the town has such narrow streets and its rustic charm was so appealing. Walking down these passageways, admiring the old stonework on the buildings and seeing the peace flags hanging from the windows and balconies added to the colour.
turrets of Tivoli
Favorite thing: Keep looking up and you'll see architectural delights such as this turretted clock tower and bell on top - like the one in this picture.
Favorite thing: Its a hill town the streets can be steep and this one was called Scalatina - meaning steps. Comfy shoes are the order of the day here!
water fountain in Tivoli
Fondest memory: Imagine my delight when we had seen the sights art Hadrian's Villa and realised we just had enough time to pop back to Tivoli do the sights missed and then head back to Rome. Well that wasn't quite the story - some of the sights just didn't seem to exist or we managed to get lost even with the map and some of the other sights were under renovation :-(
What i thought would be a quick half hour re-visit turn into a frustating, foot weary search - may be I should have left the map alone!
At least the water fountains quenched our thirst and later we comforted ourselves with our favourite restaurant back in Rome :-))
Favorite thing: Tivoli is situated along the Aniene River on the western slopes of Monti Tiburtini - the hills to the east of Rome.
Its steep medieval streets and ruins on the outskirts of town deserve a look and not just the Villa the town is renowned for.
Fondest memory: In searching for the Villa d'Esta on our arrival we wandered round the town before we got to the Villa - and we were glad we had done so otherwise we might have missed this delightful old town. after visting the town and the Villa we realised we had time to visit Hadrian's Villa just ouside of Tivoli down the hill. We went to the tourist office to check out the bus times and it was here that I found some leaflets and maps of Tivloli. Reading on the bus en route I discovered the sights of Tivoli town I had either missed or not realised what they were :-(
So is lessson to get your map and info first??
Well the story continues.....
temple of Vesta
Favorite thing: At the edge of the town overlooking a ravine near the Ponte Gregoriano are the ruins of these temples - temples of Vesta and Sybil.
The round based temple of Vesta dates from 1st century is formed by 18 Corinthian columns but only 10 remain today.
The rectangular Sybil temple is ionic in style.
Favorite thing: Tivoli has its own castle - built in 1461. The quadrangular fortress has 4 round towers and sits atop a hill near the town centre.
After 1870 the fortress was converted into a prison but today it does not have a definite function.
More Reviews (43)
sandysmith's Related Pages
Tivoli Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Tivoli Taster"
- "DAY TRIP TO TIVOLI"
- "Tivoli - UNESCO World Heritage Site"
- "The Tivoli's villas"
- "Up in the hills........"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tivoli
- Hotels in Tivoli
- Transportation in Tivoli
- Restaurants in Tivoli
- Shopping in Tivoli
- Warnings and Dangers in Tivoli
- See All...
Explore the World
- Torre San Vito Hotels
- Villefranche-sur-Mer Hotels
- Tangat Island Hotels
- Castlepollard Hotels
- Democratic Republic of Congo
Badges & Stats in Tivoli
- 51 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Tivoli?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tivoli
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 110 reviews, 259 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 130 reviews, 166 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool Intro, 112 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 101 reviews, 158 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 114 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 94 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 43 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 74 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 40 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (103)
Latest Tivoli hotel reviews
- Hotel Sirene
- 1 Review & Opinion