"A Tivoli Taster" Top 5 Page for this destination Tivoli by sandysmith
Tivoli Travel Guide: 140 reviews and 506 photos
Historic hilltop Tivoli, 28 km E. of Rome is a popular day excursion - only 1 hour away by bus.
Most visitors come to see the garden of fountains that is Villa d'Este but the town itself should not be neglected as we discovered. Narrow medieval streets with turretted houses and belltops add to the charm of this place which reminded me of tuscan hilltop towns.
The Renaissance Villa d'Este was built in the 1550s for Cardinal Hippolyte d'Este, the son of Lucretia Borgia. Its gardens and fountains are still a pleasure to explore even though the fountains no longer operate as they once did with their musical interactions. The water pressure for the fountains comes from the downhill flow of the River Tiber.
Emperor Hadrian had this enourmous imperial palace - with its many baths and theatres, constructed at Tibur, down the hill from Tivoli, and used it as his residence of choice when he was in Rome. It consisted of more than 30 buildings, covering over 120 hectares. The villa is now a UNESCO World Heritage site. the ruins are fascinating and a day alone could be spent here exploring this vast site. The lakes there with their surrounding statuary were perfect for capturing my favoured reflection pictures too!
- Pros:A great day out from Rome
- Cons:there's a lot to see in one day
- In a nutshell:A refreshing contrast from Rome
It was realtively straight forward to get to Tivoli as a day trip from Rome: We took the metro to Ponte Mammolo (stop... more travel advice
Also known as the sea theatre -even a reflection here, although not very condusive to relaxing now - the water was quite... more travel advice
sandysmith's Related Pages
Tivoli Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Tivoli Taster"
- "DAY TRIP TO TIVOLI"
- "Tivoli - UNESCO World Heritage Site"
- "The Tivoli's villas"
- "Up in the hills........"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tivoli
- Hotels in Tivoli
- Transportation in Tivoli
- Restaurants in Tivoli
- Shopping in Tivoli
- Warnings and Dangers in Tivoli
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tivoli
- 51 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Tivoli?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tivoli
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 110 reviews, 259 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 130 reviews, 166 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool Intro, 112 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 101 reviews, 158 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 114 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 94 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 43 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 74 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 40 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue