"Torcello Trip" Top 5 Page for this destination Torcello by sandysmith

Torcello Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 107 photos

Torcello is an island in northern lagoon of Venice. It was formerly densely inhabited and was religiously very important, with several monasteries. The rise of Venice saw its decline and the islanders were struck with malaria too. Today its sparse inhabitants number about 60 and its seems rather overgrown and neglected. Fewer tourists from Venice make their way over here but those that do will be rewarded with its tranquility and splendid mosaics which can be seen in the cathedral here.

We made a short return trip here during iur visit in July 2004. We were glad to see this tranquil place again without the stormy skies we had on our last vist and also to see the views from the bell tower - it was well worth it for the views around the lagoon.

• Pros:tranquil place, stunning moasics
  • Cons:watch out for mosquitos in the summer
  • Last visit to Torcello: Jun 2002
  • Intro Updated Jul 21, 2004

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2008 at 12:48 AM

Great information on laid-back Torcello! Did not have the time to visit this lovely place when I was in Venice :)

• Tolik's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2005 at 6:21 PM

I will add Torcello to my list

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2004 at 2:46 AM

Very useful tips. I have been there many years ago.

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2004 at 1:29 PM

Torcello looks and sounds like a lovely peaceful respite from the crowds - I think I've found my excuse to go back to this area : )

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2004 at 3:39 AM

You're the big expert of Italy Blondy ;-)))

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2004 at 4:37 PM

an interesting page and great pics, Sandy ! I have been there only once and without my camera, but I will certainly return one day. Somehow Torcello is the most quiet and relaxing part of Venice !

• sim1's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2004 at 10:35 PM

Great Torcello page! I wanted to go here, but unfortunately I ran out of time :-((( If I ever get back to Venice, than Torcello will certainly be on the list of places that I HAVE to see! :-)) You're right, this is definitely my type of place! :-))

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2004 at 3:09 PM

I loved Torcello. It was such a peaceful haven from tourist ridden Venice. Lovely page, brought back happy memories

sandysmith

“THank you for the birthday wishes!”

Badges & Stats in Torcello

Have you been to Torcello?

Latest Activity in Torcello