"Vacations in Venice" Top 5 Page for this destination Venice by sandysmith
Venice Travel Guide: 8,404 reviews and 22,509 photos
We visited Venice many years ago as a day trip from Croatia. Like all other day tourists we did the usual trip of glass factory, St Marks's Square, Rialto Bridge and then a boat ride down the Grande Canal. Visit 2002 we had 4 days and nights to explore the off the beaten track Venice (getting lost down those side canals) and the islands. Also to savour the atmosphere of Venice at night once the day trippers have gone. We also experienced high tide in Venice, coupled with a terrific thunderstorm, leaving us marooned in our hotel for some hours!
We split our 4 days in Venice like this:
Day 1: Dosoduro and San Marco area doing all the usual tourist hilights - Basilica, Campanile, Doges Palace etc.
Day 2: Castello area for Arsenal, a meeting with Steventilly, San Palo and St Croce areas
Day 3: Murano, Burano and Torchello Islands and back via the southern lagoon.
Day 4: Cannaregio and finaly back to St Marks square for one last time.
A really useful website for all things Venetian is: here
Check out this Venice Blog for fascinating background
and stories of Venice.
A third visit to Venice in July 2004 saw us visit old favourites and discover new places. For our 4 days this time we were staying on the island of Murano. A great place to be amongst the locals and a bit nearer to the islands we like to explore more to. I'll be adding new info on restauarnts and more off the beaten path places and info too. Please check out my Venice island pages too. Venice is always a place that will draw us back time and time again - only wish we had discovered the place as early as these youngsters we saw in a gondola!
A fourth visit September 2005 we stayed for a whole week and saw the Historica Regatta and other parts of Venetian Lagoon so please do explore these pages and love to hear your comments :-))
- Pros:A magical water-borne city
- In a nutshell:..but you simply have to savour it
I'm sure you'll have noticed all those poles in the venetian lagoon, marking out safe chanels deep enough for the boats... more travel advice
- See All Airport Service into Venice by water
- See All Ghetto Square
- See All Murano Locanda
- See All Scuola Grande di Rocco
sandysmith's Related Pages
Venice Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wandering around Venice with Suvanki"
- "Amore eterno per Venezia la Serenissima :-)"
- "Venice ? the City of Art"
- "Vacations in Venice"
- "MERAVIGLIOSA VENEZIA"
- "Giacomo CASANOVA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Venice
- Hotels in Venice
- Transportation in Venice
- Nightlife in Venice
- Restaurants in Venice
- Shopping in Venice
- Warnings and Dangers in Venice
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Venice
- 110 Reviews
- 257 Photos
- 64 Forum posts
- 129 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (220)
Have you been to Venice?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Venice
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 110 reviews, 259 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 130 reviews, 166 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool Intro, 112 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 101 reviews, 158 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 114 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 94 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 43 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 74 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 40 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue