"Vacations in Venice" Top 5 Page for this destination Venice by sandysmith

Venice Travel Guide: 8,203 reviews and 21,709 photos

Magical Venice

We visited Venice many years ago as a day trip from Croatia. Like all other day tourists we did the usual trip of glass factory, St Marks's Square, Rialto Bridge and then a boat ride down the Grande Canal. Visit 2002 we had 4 days and nights to explore the off the beaten track Venice (getting lost down those side canals) and the islands. Also to savour the atmosphere of Venice at night once the day trippers have gone. We also experienced high tide in Venice, coupled with a terrific thunderstorm, leaving us marooned in our hotel for some hours!

We split our 4 days in Venice like this:
Day 1: Dosoduro and San Marco area doing all the usual tourist hilights - Basilica, Campanile, Doges Palace etc.
Day 2: Castello area for Arsenal, a meeting with Steventilly, San Palo and St Croce areas
Day 3: Murano, Burano and Torchello Islands and back via the southern lagoon.
Day 4: Cannaregio and finaly back to St Marks square for one last time.

A really useful website for all things Venetian is: here

Check out this Venice Blog for fascinating background
and stories of Venice.

A third visit to Venice in July 2004 saw us visit old favourites and discover new places. For our 4 days this time we were staying on the island of Murano. A great place to be amongst the locals and a bit nearer to the islands we like to explore more to. I'll be adding new info on restauarnts and more off the beaten path places and info too. Please check out my Venice island pages too. Venice is always a place that will draw us back time and time again - only wish we had discovered the place as early as these youngsters we saw in a gondola!

A fourth visit September 2005 we stayed for a whole week and saw the Historica Regatta and other parts of Venetian Lagoon so please do explore these pages and love to hear your comments :-))

• Pros:A magical water-borne city
  • Cons:touristic..
  • In a nutshell:..but you simply have to savour it
  • Last visit to Venice: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 11, 2006

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Super pages for a wonderful place.Its been so long since we were there.Maybe we'll get back someday.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2009 at 3:32 AM

I'm sure I'd rather be heading to the sun too!!! Have a fab holiday! Gillybob greetings

• Fam.Rauca's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2009 at 4:25 AM

Hi Sandra! It was a pleasure for me to visit your Venice page. The tips are very interesting and the pictures are superb. Best regards from Vienna! Gabriela

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2009 at 5:01 AM

Good idea of splitting up some "things to do" groups and regrouping hundreds of tips. Thank you for the better visibility of our comments.

• Mar 25, 2008 at 10:06 AM

Hi Sandy: Thank you for the valuable information. We are going in June and your info will help a great deal. Warm regards.

• mariaschmidt's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2007 at 2:59 AM

Impressive and detailed tips and beautiful photos - well done :-)) hope to visit Venice next year - bye Mary

• Aug 19, 2007 at 11:47 AM

Hi SandySmith!!! I'm Prosper and I'm planning to move to Venice and study the achitecture there. Is there any abandoned houses, cinemas, churches, etc.? Thank u

• Escadora7's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2007 at 1:18 PM

Hi Sandy, Great Venice pages - thank you for the helpful tips. We are going there in September. Best wishes, Ash & Eve

• Jul 19, 2007 at 10:37 AM

Great page! I should visit Venice more than I usually do.... Greetings from hot and sunny Italy, Francesca

• goodboring's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2007 at 6:28 PM

Sandy, it seems our tastes are similar. We leave for Italy on 4/22. Will be looking for many of your sights!

sandysmith Visits Here Frequently!

sandysmith

“THank you for the birthday wishes!”

Badges & Stats in Venice