"Verona - The City of Balconies" Top 5 Page for this destination Verona by sandysmith

Verona Travel Guide: 1,718 reviews and 4,381 photos

Perched on the serpentine river Adige and backdropped by green hills with laden orchards, Verona is a wonderful blend of ancient history, inspirational music, sacred art and world-renowned gastronomy exemplified by classical wines. Verona is also known as " little Rome" and the "pink city" - due to the local marble 'Rosa Verona', which seems to feature everywhere.

To me however Verona was the city of Balconies - and not just for the touristic balcony in Juliet's House.
There were so many balconies, everywhere you looked.

Update May 2006 - many of the main sigthts are under wrap and scaffolding for restoration work - including the Lamberti Tower and palace area, the Scaglier Tombs and several churches. Additionally large adverts are now on the arena and castello too which I think detracts from their appearnace. I was glad to have visited here before but felt a little disappointed for hubby to see it like this although he insisted he still enjoyed the city.

Had a lovely meeting here with Chiara (Pollon)
who drove so many km to meet me.
I'm very honoured and glad she did so :-))

May 2006 enjoyed a delicious dinner and evening tour in the company of Effeti (Francesco and his wife Laura) Excellent food and company - many many thanks!

• Pros:vibrant friendly compact city
  • In a nutshell:more than Romeo and Juliette
  • Last visit to Verona: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated May 20, 2006

• dejavu2gb's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2007 at 10:47 AM

Amazing page you have there Sandra!!! I am visiting Verona in June, so will have to check back for more info as you have lots of it! Thanks!

• effeti's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2006 at 12:15 AM

Wow, Sandy! A travelouge all for us! :-)

• alucas's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2006 at 10:30 AM

Very comprehensive page, Sandy. How did you manage to accomplish so much in such a short time ? BTW the mime artist was still there last year, as was the pumpkin ravioli !

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2006 at 11:03 PM

Gr8 pics and tips! Romeo Romeo where art thou? I`m on me PC luv doing me VT updates. Didn`t ya get me text message´this mornin? No dearest I was too busy takin piccies for my updates! TIM

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2005 at 9:54 AM

Oh Sandy, what a marvellous page on Verona !! I thought, it's only worth a visit for the opera, but now I know better :-))) And nice to see that you also have a favour for balconies :-)))

• barbskie's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2005 at 12:36 PM

What a gorgeous interior of the arena. Great !

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2005 at 1:52 PM

An excellent and very thorough page.

• Tolik's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2005 at 6:18 PM

Outstanding page!..enjoyed Verona too

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2005 at 4:57 AM

In search of Romeo and Juliet...nice page. Thanks for the heads up on church tours.

• mirjana51's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2005 at 4:53 AM

I can't wait to do the things and walks throught VIA , VICALO and GARDENS together :))) Looking forward ! Thanks for this lovely page , Sandy !

sandysmith

“THank you for the birthday wishes!”

Badges & Stats in Verona