"Myra, Kale - Simena - Sunken city of Kekova" Kale by sandysmith

Kale Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 125 photos

We visited here on a day trip a few years back and looking at these pics again
its definitely the place I want to go to return to on my next - long overdue visit to Turkey in 2007!
I'd forgotten how delightful this place was and that we didn't get to spend long enough here.
Well Sept 2007 and WE did make it back here - not as long as I would have liked but long enough
to climb up to the crusader castle of Kale and see the local life.

Itinerary

Sept 2007 we did an organised excursion from our base in Kalkan:
We drove to Myra to see the lycian rock tombs and then on to Demre to see the Church of St Nicholas (yes Father Christmas!). In the afternoon we reached the harbour port of Ucagiz where we enjoyed a delightful lunch on board and sailed to the sunken city of Kekova and then over to mainland to the village of Kaleköy (Castle Village) or Simena as it is known. Back to Ucagiz and then back to Kalkan - a great day out and a good mix of sights.

• In a nutshell:Rock tombs, Father Christmas and a sunken city - what a combination!
  • Last visit to Kale: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated Nov 10, 2007

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2007 at 3:13 PM

Too bad about snorkeling off Kekova Island. It's hard going back to a place you enjoyed the first time especially if it's a bit of time in between. It can change for the worse, especially if it was nice and not so discovered the first time around.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2004 at 1:37 PM

Hi Sandy, have a great wee :-) Great page on mystical and loveley place where history is placed among great nature wonders! I was there but too short, I see.

• tessy's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2004 at 2:26 PM

Beautiful trip. Especially Myra looks so impressive with all these wonderful rocks.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2004 at 1:37 AM

an interesting page & place, Sandra ! ...it is a pity I missed these great tombs in the rocks !

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2004 at 12:28 PM

This place is picture perfect! I especially like the Myra Rock Tombs, so impressive! Great page Sandy, it just makes me want to go here! :-))

• tpal's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2004 at 6:32 AM

Hi Sandy, How do you do it? Just stopped by to see what's new. Kale looks great especially for a frustrated archeologist. I'm finally going to start my new Venice page today but you know how I am...it'll probably take a while. Have a nice holiday...Tom

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2004 at 2:08 AM

This is really one of your best pages Sandy, simply wonderful my dear ;-D

• andrewwhite's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2004 at 1:55 PM

Kale seems surrounded by interesting & beautiful spots. Added to list of places to see. Pretty high up on the list of 486,936( probably won't get to them all)

• suvanki's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2004 at 1:46 PM

Hi Sandy, Oooh, I really miss Turkey, now I've seen this page! Hopefully I'll get to see this fascinating country again next year. Best Wishes, Sue x

• steventilly's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2004 at 12:12 AM

Certainly looks nice.

sandysmith

“THank you for the birthday wishes!”

Badges & Stats in Kale