"Kalkan and Environs" Top 5 Page for this destination Kalkan by sandysmith
Kalkan Travel Guide: 150 reviews and 383 photos
Lots to do in this area - there are over 25 historic sites less than a 2-hour journey away. Its a delightful fishing village, not overly commercialised, a bit hilly but hey that will help walk off the Turkish cuisine we enjoy and by all accounts there are numerous restaurants and bars to try out - many at rooftop level with spectacular views over the Lycian coast.
Many archaeological sites in the area - probably revisit Patara (a stunning & undeveloped 18km stretch of soft golden sand) Xantos with its hillside sarcophagi, Saklient Gorge and also discover new beaches and boat trips along the coast - esp to Kekova where we once sailed past but didn't get the chance to explore properly - see my Kale page for info on Mrya and Kekova.
New places to discover include:
Letoon where the half-submerged remains of Leto’s temple are still inhabited by frogs
Tlos with its dominant fortress.
Sidyma - a site not often frequented and totally unspoilt
A road tour around the Taurus mountains, the apple growing towns and Arykanda where there is a wonderful archaeological site whose remains & setting rival those at Delphi can be read on my Kas page.
The general tips will be about Kalkan and its surrounding beaches, whilst in the must do section I'll place tips about various tours which can be made in this area.%ccb
- Pros:beaches history and great food
- Cons:its hilly
- In a nutshell:wonderful holiday destination
Sidyma is a less frequented site - which suited us we had the village virtually to ourselves. Its a scenic winding... more travel advice
Another favourite spot re-visited was the gorge of Saklikent. Saklikent Gorge is the second-largest (20 km-long) gorge... more travel advice
sandysmith's Related Pages
Kalkan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kalkan and Environs"
- "Boutique Kalkan"
- "Kalkan - a mix of Greek and Turkish features"
- "Kalkan - Kekova - Kas"
- "wonderful kalkan 2012 update"
- "TURKEY - 1992"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kalkan
- Hotels in Kalkan
- Transportation in Kalkan
- Nightlife in Kalkan
- Restaurants in Kalkan
- Warnings and Dangers in Kalkan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kalkan
- 21 Reviews
- 95 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Kalkan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kalkan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 110 reviews, 259 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 130 reviews, 166 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool Intro, 112 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 101 reviews, 158 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 114 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 94 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 43 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 74 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 40 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue