"Kalkan and Environs" Top 5 Page for this destination Kalkan by sandysmith

Kalkan Travel Guide: 150 reviews and 383 photos

First Holiday booking of 2007 - Long overdue was a holiday in Turkey!!!!

Lots to do in this area - there are over 25 historic sites less than a 2-hour journey away. Its a delightful fishing village, not overly commercialised, a bit hilly but hey that will help walk off the Turkish cuisine we enjoy and by all accounts there are numerous restaurants and bars to try out - many at rooftop level with spectacular views over the Lycian coast.

Many archaeological sites in the area - probably revisit Patara (a stunning & undeveloped 18km stretch of soft golden sand) Xantos with its hillside sarcophagi, Saklient Gorge and also discover new beaches and boat trips along the coast - esp to Kekova where we once sailed past but didn't get the chance to explore properly - see my Kale page for info on Mrya and Kekova.
New places to discover include:
Letoon where the half-submerged remains of Leto’s temple are still inhabited by frogs
Tlos with its dominant fortress.
Sidyma - a site not often frequented and totally unspoilt
A road tour around the Taurus mountains, the apple growing towns and Arykanda where there is a wonderful archaeological site whose remains & setting rival those at Delphi can be read on my Kas page.

The general tips will be about Kalkan and its surrounding beaches, whilst in the must do section I'll place tips about various tours which can be made in this area.%ccb

• Pros:beaches history and great food
  • Cons:its hilly
  • In a nutshell:wonderful holiday destination
  • Last visit to Kalkan: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated Dec 9, 2007

• Pinat's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2009 at 9:04 AM

I just saw your page before starting to build mine. I was on a tour in Lycian Turkey back in 2003. This September we are planning to do our very own road trip in the region. Your pages were so refreshening for me. Cheers from Ankara...

• marsistanbul's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2008 at 9:08 AM

The destiny of the ancient Xanthos&its peoples were a sad fate..especially women's..they were real heroes..great Kalkan tips with photos..greetings fm Istanbul..brgds

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2007 at 12:11 AM

Wow, never heard of Saklikent gorge before, it looks marvellous :-)) Must be fun to go there, and also parts of the Lycian Path. Oh, and don't worry, I am a brownie but would also die at Kaputas beach :-) morning smiles across the Channel :-)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2007 at 4:10 PM

The food and room look fab, Sandy With a beach like Patara I'd not worry about a mattress much, I'd lay right in the sand!

sandysmith

“THank you for the birthday wishes!”

Badges & Stats in Kalkan