"Austria" Austria by sandysmith

Austria Travel Guide: 19,307 reviews and 52,622 photos

The cities of Vienna, Innsbruck and Salzburg are beautiful in their own right but there's nothing like getting into the mountains and really seeing Austria at its most scenic. Here I would just like to share on some on my favourite Austrian places visited. My favourite tryolean village is Ellmau situated between the Wilder Kaiser and Hartkaiser mountain ranges. These are very much like the italian Dolomites with their jagged apperance. Not far from Ellmau is the larger resort of Kitzbuhel also worth a visit and good for hikiing.
The Salzburger region with its "lake district" villages is also a firm favourite of ours - there is more info on their specific pages so don't forget to look there too!

This picture shows the view you can have from the top of the Hohe Salve in Soll, near Ellmau. To get here the easy way check out the transport tip below!

• Pros:idyllic town and moutains hiking trails
  • Cons:unpredictable weather
  • In a nutshell:great holiday destination
  • Intro Updated Jan 28, 2003

Travelogues (1)

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2009 at 12:10 PM

This is a good capsulization of the key spots in this country. Kaprun looks like a place to relax or hide out. Good job

• ettenaj's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2007 at 2:41 PM

Just back from Austria loved it saw Krimml waterfalls and the Achensee lake

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2005 at 9:48 AM

Great page on this beautiful mountainous country! I went there a long time ago, oh my god, 15 years ago... getting old!!!

• nhcram's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2004 at 10:40 AM

Great tips Sandra. We will be in Bad Goisern near Salzburg for Christmas and I am so excited....Thanks for the write up on Austria

• Nov 8, 2004 at 11:03 PM

Hi, im a Prater , im looking for info on my peoples and im fromthe usa , but i know they came from there , whatcan you tell me of ( Prater hunt / Park ) and anything else...Thanks caveman_65560@yahoo.com

• wcph's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2004 at 6:04 PM

Hi, good summary of must-see places in Austria. Thanks for sharing!

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2004 at 4:49 PM

Wonderful page. Your tips are well written and photos superb.

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2003 at 11:26 AM

good page and good tips - although I prefer Vienna which is just my favourite city.

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2003 at 12:09 AM

Very Beautiful country which I should visit!

• Apr 18, 2003 at 7:33 PM

Beautiful page Sandra! You really love the Alps! So do I : ) I'm really looking forward to see Grosslockner in May!

sandysmith

“THank you for the birthday wishes!”

Badges & Stats in Austria

Have you been to Austria?

Latest Activity in Austria