"Bavarian Beauty" Top 5 Page for this destination Berchtesgaden by sandysmith

Berchtesgaden Travel Guide: 283 reviews and 827 photos

Berchtesgaden - a beautiful old market town in the idyllic Bavarian Alps. This compact area is surrounded on three sides by Austria and is aptly known as Berchtesgadenerland.

There are many natural attactions within its fairly small perimeter - the most popular being the fjord-like lake Konigssee and the Jenner mountain with its easy cable-car access. Further afield there are idyllic places such as Ramsau, Hintersee and gorges of Almbachklamm and Wimbach.

Also don't miss the interesting Salt Museum where you dress in old miners clothes and its fun toboggan slides into the salt caverns!

• Pros:outstanding natural beauty
  • Cons:a week was not enough :-(
  • In a nutshell:great summer or winter destination
  • Intro Updated Feb 7, 2004

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Nice page! Just recommended this town to someone and was looking at some VT pages. I would love to go there again some day

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2007 at 5:31 PM

Wonderful, you've got me all excited as I'm off there next month

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2007 at 1:58 PM

It would be well worth the 15 minutes to see views like this lovely area

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2007 at 11:07 AM

Ahh thanks for this page, Sandy :-)) Brings back so many happy memories and shows me what I missed when I was there :-) So much to see, if I return one day :-) Oh, and I love that bakery sign as well :-)) Evening smiles and hugs :-)

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2006 at 1:21 PM

What a beautiful place! I hope to visit Berchtesgaden someday, it looks like a very wonderful place.

• neilward's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2005 at 2:26 AM

Fantastic pages,pity I cant find my pics from there,love The Eagles Nest,dodgy bus ride up there though ???

• Roeffie's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2004 at 12:16 AM

Very nice page! I want to go there next year!

• kenyneo's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2004 at 10:29 PM

Its such a beautiful place ...I really cant wait to go there. Thank you for sharing those interesting tips. I was about to abandon the salt mine stuff, until I looked at yor tips . Bravo

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2004 at 6:06 PM

Avoid the burnt bum by all means but the rest is not to be missed..........fantastic photos, wonderful tips.........another must see place thank you Sandy.

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2004 at 2:45 PM

Berchtesgaden is one of Germany's gems. Good selection of tips for the area. The top of the Jenner is just the start for other adventures:-] They filmed 'Winter Sleepers' - tom tykwer - here, both on the Jenner and in town.

sandysmith

“THank you for the birthday wishes!”

Badges & Stats in Berchtesgaden

Have you been to Berchtesgaden?

Latest Activity in Berchtesgaden