"Sulmona" Sulmona by BlueLlama

Sulmona Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 52 photos

I found myself in Sulmona entirely by chance; I'd really wanted to visit Scanno for years, and sadly there didn't seem to be many accommodation choices there. There seemed some atmospheric guesthouses in Sulmona, so Sulmona it was.

Now I see why. Although it may not be a particularly well-known destination (outside Italy, at least), the town is enchanting. Filled with beautiful old buildings and attractive streets, it manages to combine history from across the centuries (baroque, medieval, Roman) with elegance, and the backdrop of the mountains with spacious, open piazzas.

I only wish we'd had more time in Sulmona, as we mainly saw it at night (walking down by the old aqueduct and admiring the fountain in Piazza Garibaldi is a lovely experience) and I'd have liked to see the sights by daylight too.

From the guesthouse, restaurant and bar we visited, I also have the distinct impression that this is a city with high standards of hospitality, taste and value. All this, and very few tourists around.

I can thoroughly recommend the B&B Il Marchese del Grillo (see my review), where our hosts were more than happy to spend time pointing out the best places to go and to eat. A real shame we didn't get to try more of their tips! A special memory has to be the morning we left to go down the coast - our host, Alessandro, took us around a fantastic old palace which was being painstakingly restored to be revived as a high-end retirement home. A peek behind the scenes of thos distinctly lovely town.

• Pros:Great sights, beautiful architecture and scenery, quality hospitality
  • Cons:You may find you've not given yourself enough time to explore if you're using the town as a base for other travel!
  • In a nutshell:Harmony of mad-made and natural beauty
  • Last visit to Sulmona: Aug 2012
  • Intro Updated Nov 12, 2012

Comments

BlueLlama

“Make mine a pisco sour”

Badges & Stats in Sulmona

Have you been to Sulmona?

Latest Activity in Sulmona