"Sulmona" Sulmona by BlueLlama
Sulmona Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 52 photos
I found myself in Sulmona entirely by chance; I'd really wanted to visit Scanno for years, and sadly there didn't seem to be many accommodation choices there. There seemed some atmospheric guesthouses in Sulmona, so Sulmona it was.
Now I see why. Although it may not be a particularly well-known destination (outside Italy, at least), the town is enchanting. Filled with beautiful old buildings and attractive streets, it manages to combine history from across the centuries (baroque, medieval, Roman) with elegance, and the backdrop of the mountains with spacious, open piazzas.
I only wish we'd had more time in Sulmona, as we mainly saw it at night (walking down by the old aqueduct and admiring the fountain in Piazza Garibaldi is a lovely experience) and I'd have liked to see the sights by daylight too.
From the guesthouse, restaurant and bar we visited, I also have the distinct impression that this is a city with high standards of hospitality, taste and value. All this, and very few tourists around.
I can thoroughly recommend the B&B Il Marchese del Grillo (see my review), where our hosts were more than happy to spend time pointing out the best places to go and to eat. A real shame we didn't get to try more of their tips! A special memory has to be the morning we left to go down the coast - our host, Alessandro, took us around a fantastic old palace which was being painstakingly restored to be revived as a high-end retirement home. A peek behind the scenes of thos distinctly lovely town.
- Pros:Great sights, beautiful architecture and scenery, quality hospitality
- Cons:You may find you've not given yourself enough time to explore if you're using the town as a base for other travel!
- In a nutshell:Harmony of mad-made and natural beauty
I found it hard to choose Il Marchese del Grillo, so many enticing B&Bs do there seem to be in Sulmona. But what a... more travel advice
BlueLlama's Related Pages
Sulmona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GRAFFITI ART UNDER THE NEW BRIDGE"
- "A Town as Sweet as its Most Famous Product"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sulmona
- Hotels in Sulmona
- Transportation in Sulmona
- Nightlife in Sulmona
- Restaurants in Sulmona
- Shopping in Sulmona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sulmona
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Sulmona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sulmona
Photos in SulmonaSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bari Intro, 10 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ostuni Intro, 3 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Torino Intro, 11 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lecce Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cisternino Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Otranto Intro, 4 reviews, 15 photos
- Sarajevo Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Scanno Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos
- Zagreb Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos