"The big island" Top 5 Page for this destination Buyukada by BlueLlama
Buyukada Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 169 photos
Buyukada is the last of the Prince's Islands (Adalar) that the ferry from Istanbul visits, and the one most visitors stop off at. Having missed the early ferry, I ended up seeing this and one other island, Heybeliada, and while I can't speak for the rest, Buyukada is well worth the trip.
Visiting in the off-season, the place was a world away from Istanbul, bustling with people from all over the world even in cold November. The sun seems to shine a little more here, and there are opportunities to walk up the wooded hills and get spectacular views down over the other side of the island to the sea. There is a monastery according to all the guides but despite the seemingly straightforward route we managed to get lost. Still, you can't really go wrong on Buyukada - it's a great place for walking.
Buyukada may as well be known as Kediyada (please correct my Turkish - I'm attempting to say Cat Island!)... I have never seen so many strays in one place. It's quite a sight.
Fortunately, the cats of Buyukada seem to be well cared for by the inhabitants of the island and are healthy and clean. Unfortunately, it is hard to wrench yourself away as they follow you down the streets, mewing to be taken home with you!
- Pros:Scenic landscape and intriguing old wooden mansions
- Cons:Getting ripped off at a restaurant!
- In a nutshell:More cats than you can shake a stick at
The Adalar are well-known as parts of Istanbul that continue to preserve a mix of cultures that has sadly gone from the... more travel advice
BlueLlama's Related Pages
Buyukada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Buyukada - Biggest from the Princes' Islands"
- "Buyukada - escape to intercultural island"
- "The big island"
- "Buyukada: An Island Without Rush Hour"
- "Buyukada, Prince of a Princess Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Buyukada
- Hotels in Buyukada
- Transportation in Buyukada
- Restaurants in Buyukada
- Shopping in Buyukada
- Warnings and Dangers in Buyukada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Buyukada
- 3 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Buyukada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Buyukada
Photos in BuyukadaSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Rethymno Intro, 16 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bari Intro, 10 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ostuni Intro, 3 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Torino Intro, 11 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lecce Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 8 reviews, 25 photos
- Reims Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cisternino Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Genoa Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos
- Heraklion Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos