"My Feelings Toward This Town are Pretty Split" Top 5 Page for this destination Tempe by PandaBear77

Tempe Travel Guide: 96 reviews and 216 photos

Spent My Freshman Year at ASU

I only spent one year in Tempe. Upon first arriving here I thought Tempe was pretty awesome, then it turned torwards a very negative feeling and now it's balanced out right in the middle. The town has it's wonderful parts but theyre in the minority. Also theyre completely redeveloping these parts and further gentrifying this already gentrified wasteland. Ok, that's being a little harsh, but not too harsh. Mill Ave., is appealing upon first look and seems to have a lot of character, but when you walk down it take the time to look at what businesses are actually located on the street and it's really sad. I like the activity, street performers, and ocassional events (which are very commercialized themselves) but not much beyond that. Tempe Beach Park is a decent park I suppose, but most of it is now a business park with a slew of high rises. Leave this area and the rest of the city is strip malls. On the other hand the Maple Ash neighborhood is stunningly beautiful and full of character. If it weren't for this neighborhood and the surprising number of good ethnic restaurants in the city I would completely write Tempe off.

• Pros:So much sunshine, Good ethnic restaurants
  • Cons:Summers (which last like 6 months here) are way too hot, gentrified to death, horrible city planners, congested
  • In a nutshell:A college town that either could have been, or maybe used to have been?
  • Last visit to Tempe: May 2007
  • Intro Updated May 4, 2007

• EllenH's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2007 at 1:39 PM

Great tips, I wish you had pictures. Good insight into Tempe too. We are going in 2 weeks to visit my kid at ASU.

PandaBear77 Used To Live Here!

Ranked Member