"HOME EXPLORER" agustiah's Profile

what is home

I was born & raised in Jakarta, Indonesia, but work brought me to Bangkok, Thailand, where I’ve lived for the past 5 years.

Although Thailand is not far from Indonesia, a mere 3.5 hours flight, and people and places are pretty similar, I still find living in this country an exciting experience. Learning new language, new culture, making new acquaintances, trying local cuisine, exploring new places, it’s all enthralling

Despite the novelty though, there’re always things so familiar, that can’t help but make me feel I’m at home. The same thing, actually, when I travel and visit even more distant, more foreign places, some basic things about people will always make feel at home. In fact, I think I’ve always been at home, here, and just about anywhere. Lately I find that going places is just like wandering to the different corners of my house that is not my ‘usual’ corner, but still at home nonetheless. So now I’m just looking forward to go and stay to more new corners I’ve never been before….

Bangkok aka City of Angel aka The Big Mango

Just like what every guide book says, Bangkok is a very vibrant city. Even after 4 years, I hardly have any dull moment in this city, there’re always things to try and do. But things that I’m most fond of Bangkok are:
1. EAT/ DRINK
Everything in Bangkok, from modest street food to luxurious roof-top, fine-dining is delicious. And food is literally everywhere. It’s almost impossible to stroll the streets of Bangkok for more than 10 minutes without passing street vendors that sell food/ drink of some sort. And chances are, they all taste GOOD!
Come winter (Bangkok winter starts in November and last till Jan/ Feb, when the temperature plunges to 25C from normally 35C ;)) beer gardens will mushroom through out the city. tis the time to enjoy cold beer with friends after good hours at work. WARNING: they serve beer on ice in this part of the world, unless u ask not too!

2. BE MERRY
From International concerts, Music & Dance festival, Sport events, Bangkok has all to offer. You can wake up one morning and run in a marathon race, and end the same day going to Linkin Park concert

But like every other city, Bangkok has its own quirkiness, and it materializes in the form of: BANGKOK TAXI DRIVERS
They have the rights (and very often do) to turn down passengers, if they don’t like the destination, mainly if they have to navigate through (rather) heavy traffic. Never have I met anyone who despises traffic jam more than BKK taxi drivers do. And if you want to go to downtown sukumvit on weekend evenings, better safe your breath and take Skytrain or Underground instead

• Intro Updated Apr 13, 2011

• fachd's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2008 at 2:17 AM

Thanks Tiah, you also have a great New Year 2008. Taxi are all the same all over the world, some good and others not so good.

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2007 at 3:06 AM

Hi Tiah. I enjoyed reading your homepage. Unfortunately, Dubai's taxi drivers sound just as bad as Bangkok's! Often refuse to take us to certain areas, drive too fast & agressive and are rude. Greetings from Dubai / Jess :-)

• keszzz's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2007 at 2:46 AM

Tiah, Thank You for the nice props on my page. I see you are new to VT, so I'm looking to read MORE about YOUR trips!! jon

• glyndywyr's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2007 at 1:33 AM

Hi Tiah I also have fallen foul of Bangkok taxi drivers

• kopwint's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2007 at 9:24 PM

happiness with free in your mind and get great time in your days of 2007 and long life. wish from Myanmar

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
agustiah's Profile Photo

agustiah

“Live fast..... see, taste, try something new”

Ranked Member