"LAOAG-Gateway to the North" Top 5 Page for this destination Laoag City by backpacker24

Laoag City Travel Guide: 159 reviews and 530 photos

Mar 17, after filing 6 days leave at work, I finally got the chance for another relaxation. I got Cebu Pacific tickets to Laoag and flew on a hot Saturday afternoon (and we even got the hotbabes Katya and Myles on the plane). At 2pm we are finally in Laoag! From the airport, we hailed a tricycle to take us to Texicano Hotel which was recommended by the Lonely Planet. For P170, we got a small room with 2 beds.. not so comfortable but practical enough since we're out the whole day anyway.

Starving, we saw this plaza full of empanada stands, and wow, you'll never have these in Manila!

First stop was the St William's Cathedral, built by the Augustinians in 1612 along the Italian Renaissance design, a hundred meters away from the church is the Sinking Bell Tower which leans slightly to the north. It sinks an inch a year to the ground, as we were told (but I cant figure how is it sinking). There were no entrances so had to take photos across the street. Then getting a jeepney to Batac (20 min ride-P25/pax), we headed to Paoay.

The jeep dropped us off at the Paoay church. Paoay is another historical town known for its korniks factory, loom weaving, church and the bell tower, we hired (for P100 back and forth) and took a 20 min tricycle ride to Paoay Lake, a large body of water that retained some level of vibrancy. It has an enchanting history about a husband and wife most likely that of the husband and wife of Sodom and Gomorrah.

At 6pm we're heading back to Texicano Hotel, showered, and got dinner at Papa Dau's. I think the most appealing diner in the city. Serving mostly sizzlings at a very reasonable price. And then feeling bored, we walked around the city, taking pics of murals, and looking for a bar. I asked a bank security and had a tricycle to take us to where he said B1. After 20 mins, we stopped and greeted by several bars.. girls in short skirts and full make up, and i was like, get me outta here, and i mean fast!

So we got another tricycle back. After 15 mins or so, we stopped at err, Cockhouse bar. Which, apparently, to our dismay, is just about 2 blocks from the hotel. It may sound ridiculous but it's just actually a bar with 3 bands playing. Beer for P35 not bad. And I think this is where the locals hang out. it was 10pm and sleepy, so we went back and slept.

At 8am, we checked out of the hotel, and got ready for the next trip. We had breakfast at Magic Bunny foodhouse which has a unique menu, cant tell exactly how their menu looks but it was kewl!

And we're on a roll... :D

• Last visit to Laoag City: Mar 2007
  • Intro Written May 17, 2007

• ms.ainaru's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2009 at 3:11 AM

hi. do you have some pictures of the room? because me and my friends are planning a trip and i find this inn really cheap. thanks

• GrantBoone's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2007 at 11:57 AM

The Salsbury steak sounds good!!

backpacker24

“one grain of sand and it's all worth it”

Badges & Stats in Laoag City

Have you been to Laoag City?

Latest Activity in Laoag City