"Place of Inscribed Flat Stones" Dzibilchaltùn by smirnofforiginal
Dzibilchaltùn Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 28 photos
Dzibilchaltun in the state of Yucatan is one of the largest, most ancient and possibly the longest settled Old Indian city in the whole of Mexico. At one time 40,000 people are estimated to have been living here. Dzibilchaltun covered 80 sqaure km of which, in the 1960's, archaeologists mapped 31 square km and revealed 8500 structures.
Many of thebuilding uncovered date from the 3rd to 1st centuries BC but some are more recent eg AD 600-900.
The Spaniards destroyed the ancient buildings and then used the site as a convenient source of stone!
I was here in 1999 at which time the museum was small and located at the entrance to the site. However there were plans... more travel advice
smirnofforiginal's Related Pages
Dzibilchaltùn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dzibilchaltùn--"Place with writing on flat stones""
- "Small site but great cenote"
- "Wide but almost unexplored"
- "Place of Inscribed Flat Stones"
- "Pictures of Dzibilchaltun"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dzibilchaltùn
- Transportation in Dzibilchaltùn
- Warnings and Dangers in Dzibilchaltùn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dzibilchaltùn
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Dzibilchaltùn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dzibilchaltùn
Photos in DzibilchaltùnSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 77 reviews, 158 photos
- Kiev Intro, 29 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Moscow Intro, 21 reviews, 55 photos
- Namibia Intro, 25 reviews, 45 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 22 reviews, 47 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 18 reviews, 40 photos
- Weymouth Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Mumbai Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 15 reviews, 29 photos