"Ciudad Amarilla (Yellow City)" Izamal by smirnofforiginal
Izamal Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 50 photos
Izamal (which means "City of Hills") is in the state of Yucatan and was a centre for the worship of Itzamna (supreme Mayan god) and Kinich Kakmo (the sun god). A number of temples in the town were dedicated to them.
Along came the Spanish colonists and built the enormous Freanciscan monastery.
Izamal is a smal, quiet rural town with the signature colour of yellow. It has 2 main squares and is completely dominated by the Convento de San Antonio de Padua. In 1999 when I was there it was not on the tourist map. I hope it stays this way because the towns atmosphere was simply lovely.
When the Spaniards arrived in Izamal theyu destroyed Popul-Chac pyramid, the major Mayan temple. With it's stones they... more travel advice
smirnofforiginal's Related Pages
Izamal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Izamal: The Oldest City of Yucatan"
- "The Yellow City"
- "Izamal the yellow city"
- "Ciudad Amarilla (Yellow City)"
- "Izamal, la ciudad amarilla"
- "Izamal, the yellow city."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Izamal
- Transportation in Izamal
- Restaurants in Izamal
- Warnings and Dangers in Izamal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Izamal
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Izamal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Izamal
Photos in IzamalSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 77 reviews, 158 photos
- Kiev Intro, 29 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Moscow Intro, 21 reviews, 55 photos
- Namibia Intro, 25 reviews, 45 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 22 reviews, 47 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 18 reviews, 40 photos
- Weymouth Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 18 reviews, 34 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Mumbai Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos