"My freaky streaky place!" Progreso by smirnofforiginal

Progreso Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 94 photos

how things change

I have read VT-er's Progresso tips - on how cruise ships sail in and out and of the numerous hotels to choose from......

How things change! When I waddled, heavily pregnant, into Progresso I was merely using it as a convenient stop-off, in Yucatan, on my travels; to eat and spend the night. Actually it is wrong to say I waddled in - I drove!

Anyway, with trusty guide book in hand, mist swirling around the swampy beginings of town and a zebra running around in the road... (very twin peaks), my husband and I began to hunt down the "two basic hotels in town" (as described in the said guide book).

This was absolutely, without doubt, the ghost-town, sea-side town they most certainly forgot to close down! Apparently swarming with holidaying Mexicans in the summer, this was October and the only obvious signs of life were:

hotel 1 - a very dirty, shabby building with a very large, scarey knife weilding Mexican sitting in the doorway with what looked like his paid ladies in the background....

and hotel 2 - a rather shabby, dirty (and yes, very basic) hotel on the sea front with a friendly lady in the shop below. We booked in and once in the room - with it's army of ants marching across the floor, the swarm of flies whizzing around the ceiling and the ceiling fan hanging on by one tiny little wire, the dead locks and bolts across the door to the hotel and the door to the balcony, the concrete floor and the plastic kitsch furniture glued to the floor - I began to have palpitations as to whether we would make it through the night in this room!!!

There was a restaurant open and we were served by a very nice, very frighteneing looking fellow with many golden-windowed teeth!

We were the only visitors in this town! Maybe because I was pregnant, maybe because we had already experienced the sensation of having guns shoved up our nostrils once that week or maybe because it was the right thing to do... but we decided to leave town that night and drive like mad to Merida for some sanity!!!

We went back again to Progresso later on in our expedition - this time during the daytime... and it was a lovely, little sea side town with a nice vibe.

I think somehow we managed to enter Progresso's twilight zone!!!!!!!

• Intro Updated Sep 13, 2007

• Redlats's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2007 at 8:33 AM

Progreso is still a sleepy little Mexican fishing village, but there are more hotels now. Also now, lots of Canadians and Americans renting those Mexican condos that go unused from January to April.

smirnofforiginal

“Enter, traveller, into this immensity”

Badges & Stats in Progreso

Have you been to Progreso?

Latest Activity in Progreso