"A real gem!" Top 5 Page for this destination Idar-Oberstein by smirnofforiginal
Idar-Oberstein Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 123 photos
The production of gem stones, in Idar-Oberstein goes back to the middle ages. Records show that agate was mined from 1454. It was, however, in the 19th century, when adventurers went to South America (Brazil, in particular) and harvested stones to send home, when the industry took off.
There are no gems left in the local mines but Idar-Oberstein is still a major gem sutting / jewellery manufacturing centre. It is also the only place in Europe to have a combined diamond & gemstone exchange.
The streets are simply lined with shops selling gems, jewelleryetc...
In the rock face is the wonderful 15th century Felsenkirche. It is said to have been built by a knight in atonement for... more travel advice
smirnofforiginal's Related Pages
Idar-Oberstein Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Idar-Oberstein: gemstones and history unlimited :)"
- "City of Gemstones!"
- "A real gem!"
- "Not only gem-stones"
- "Idar-Oberstein is situated in the Mosel region"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Idar-Oberstein
- Transportation in Idar-Oberstein
- Restaurants in Idar-Oberstein
- Warnings and Dangers in Idar-Oberstein
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Idar-Oberstein
- 2 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Idar-Oberstein?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Idar-Oberstein
Photos in Idar-ObersteinSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 77 reviews, 158 photos
- Kiev Intro, 29 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Moscow Intro, 21 reviews, 55 photos
- Namibia Intro, 25 reviews, 45 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 22 reviews, 47 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 18 reviews, 40 photos
- Weymouth Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 18 reviews, 34 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Mumbai Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos