"Turkish delights & Eastern fancies" Turkey by smirnofforiginal
Turkey Travel Guide: 24,657 reviews and 70,956 photos
The Republic of Turkey is large - 301,382 square miles/780,580 square km.
It has 8 neighbours: Syria, Iraq, Iran, Armenia, Georgia, Bulgaria, Greece (by land) & and Cyprus (bordered by the Mediterranean Sea .
Istanbul, is the only city to be built of two continents (Europe & Asia).
Most of Turkey sits in Anatolia (or should it be most of Anatoila lies within Turkey?) and Anatolia is one of the oldest (continuously) inhabited regions in the world so I think it is safe to say that Turkey is piled deep with history!
In Europe there are 11,500 species of flowers - 9,000 can be found in Turkey!
It was Turkey who gave tulips to the Dutch....
Turkey holds 2 of the 7 wonders of the ancient world: The Temple of Artemis (Ephesus) & the Mausoleum of Hallicarnassus (Bodrum).
Turkey has 10 UNESCO World Heritage Sites:
01. The historical are of Istanbul
02. The city of Sanfranbolu, Karabuk
03 Corum, Hattusas- the Hittite capital
04. Goreme National Park, Nevsehir, Cappadocia
05. Sivas - Great mosque and hospital of Divrigi
06. Nemrut Dagi, Adiyaman
07. Xanthos Latoon, Antalya
08. Pamukkale & Hierapolis (Denizli)
09. Archaeological site of Troy, Canakkale
10. Selimiye Mosque and its Social Complex
I have found the Turks to be nothing short of warm, friendly, welcoming and genuinely hospitable people and their country to be full of historical and natural wonder. They understand tourism in all its guises - mass market and independent travel, and are able to cater for both remarkably well. If you can look past the painfully long journeys (especially by overnight bus) you will find travelling around Turkey easy and fun and you will be greatly rewarded by the people you meet, the sights you see, the experiences you indulge in and the memories you create.
You may know Ramazan better as Ramadan. Ramazan is a time of fasting. It last for 30 days and is not exclusive to food... more travel advice
The beauty of driving in any country is that you are the boss and in control of your own jouney - stopping (or not)... more travel advice
smirnofforiginal's Related Pages
Turkey Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Turkey - a travell from east to west"
- "DID YOU KNOW THAT ?"
- "My Turkey - real and virtual"
- "Turkey's Magnificent Riviera"
- "Travels in Turkey"
- "Turkey: Spans Both Europe and Asia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Turkey
- Hotels in Turkey
- Transportation in Turkey
- Nightlife in Turkey
- Restaurants in Turkey
- Shopping in Turkey
- Warnings and Dangers in Turkey
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Turkey
- 40 Reviews
- 92 Photos
- 52 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Turkey?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Turkey
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 77 reviews, 158 photos
- Kiev Intro, 29 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Moscow Intro, 21 reviews, 55 photos
- Namibia Intro, 25 reviews, 45 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 22 reviews, 47 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 18 reviews, 40 photos
- Weymouth Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Mumbai Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 15 reviews, 29 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (33)
Top Turkey hotels
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Antalya Hotels
- 739 Reviews - 2057 Photos
- Marmaris Hotels
- 624 Reviews - 1134 Photos
- Bodrum Hotels
- 708 Reviews - 1641 Photos
- Icmeler Hotels
- 235 Reviews - 455 Photos
- Alanya Hotels
- 435 Reviews - 986 Photos
- Kusadasi Hotels
- 312 Reviews - 853 Photos
- Side Hotels
- 143 Reviews - 364 Photos
- Belek Hotels
- 58 Reviews - 170 Photos
- Fethiye Hotels
- 352 Reviews - 878 Photos
- Hisaronu Hotels
- 25 Reviews - 57 Photos
- Ankara Hotels
- 372 Reviews - 1286 Photos
- Pamukkale Hotels
- 270 Reviews - 958 Photos
- Izmir Hotels
- 454 Reviews - 1275 Photos
- Kemer Hotels
- 41 Reviews - 168 Photos