"Daytona" Daytona Beach by smirnofforiginal
Daytona Beach Travel Guide: 225 reviews and 472 photos
Until the late 1700's the Timucuan Indians had enjoyed Daytona but then the European settlers moved in! A railroad was built, as was a hotel and a few tourists started arriving.
In 1902 Ransome Olds & Alexander Winston (racecar drivers) discovered that the hard-pocketed sands of the beach were good for something other than sun worship. They wagered a huge race along the water to prove it! In 1903 The Florida East Coast Automobile Association was founded. In 1904 the Winter Speed Carnival was started and for the next 30 years....
In the 1930's stock car racing became popular and by 1959 Daytona Seepdway was opened. Today Daytona still thrives on racing.
Daytona beach is beautiful and whereas once speeds in excess of 200mph were reached along the waters edge - nowdays you stick to 10mph!
smirnofforiginal's Related Pages
Daytona Beach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "daytona beach, florida"
- "Bike Week in Daytona, Florida"
- "ICW Trip 2001 Leg 24 Daytona Beach"
- "DAYTONA BEACH....NOT JUST A PARTY TOWN"
- "Daytona Beach"
- "Daytona - a beach and a racetrack"
- "Daytona Beach, FL"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Daytona Beach
- Hotels in Daytona Beach
- Transportation in Daytona Beach
- Nightlife in Daytona Beach
- Restaurants in Daytona Beach
- Shopping in Daytona Beach
- Warnings and Dangers in Daytona Beach
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Daytona Beach
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Daytona Beach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Daytona Beach
Photos in Daytona BeachSee All Photos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 77 reviews, 158 photos
- Kiev Intro, 29 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Moscow Intro, 21 reviews, 55 photos
- Namibia Intro, 25 reviews, 45 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 22 reviews, 47 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 18 reviews, 40 photos
- Weymouth Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Mumbai Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 15 reviews, 29 photos