"Sawaddi Ka" Thailand by smirnofforiginal

Thailand Travel Guide: 31,344 reviews and 79,425 photos

With my late father-in-law having lived in Thailand with his (Thai) wife and her family, I guess I have had the privilege of visiting Thailand and experiencing the country, culture and people on a more intimate level.

Smaller than France, but bigger than Spain, Thailand is indeed a very beautiful country; it's tropical scenery with snowcapped mountains, glimmering temples and jungles filled with amazing archaeology, flaura, fauna and tribes. It is impossible to be disappointed.

Being a (predominantly) Buddhist culture, Thai people are rather easy going and tolerant and "Thailand" actually means "land of the free".

The land is steeped in history which it's peoples are very proud of. To see the real Thailand the general rule of thumb used to be to get out of Bangkok and Phuket but nowdays, with so many people tripping through that's probably not good enough.

My husbands last trip to Thailand was sadly for his father's funeral; a traditional Thai Buddist funeral in the far north - an honour no westener had had bestowed upon them before (at least, not in that particular region). I was unable to go but upon his return he told me I would not recognise the country - small villages turned into towns, towns turned into heaving metropolises. I would like to return one day to Thailand, to show our children their Grandfather's beloved country. I fear when that time comes, Thailand will not the the special secret I remember being privy to.

• Intro Updated Oct 15, 2007

Travelogues (1)

Comments

smirnofforiginal

“Enter, traveller, into this immensity”

Badges & Stats in Thailand

Have you been to Thailand?

Latest Activity in Thailand