"Sawaddi Ka" Thailand by smirnofforiginal
Thailand Travel Guide: 31,397 reviews and 79,723 photos
With my late father-in-law having lived in Thailand with his (Thai) wife and her family, I guess I have had the privilege of visiting Thailand and experiencing the country, culture and people on a more intimate level.
Smaller than France, but bigger than Spain, Thailand is indeed a very beautiful country; it's tropical scenery with snowcapped mountains, glimmering temples and jungles filled with amazing archaeology, flaura, fauna and tribes. It is impossible to be disappointed.
Being a (predominantly) Buddhist culture, Thai people are rather easy going and tolerant and "Thailand" actually means "land of the free".
The land is steeped in history which it's peoples are very proud of. To see the real Thailand the general rule of thumb used to be to get out of Bangkok and Phuket but nowdays, with so many people tripping through that's probably not good enough.
My husbands last trip to Thailand was sadly for his father's funeral; a traditional Thai Buddist funeral in the far north - an honour no westener had had bestowed upon them before (at least, not in that particular region). I was unable to go but upon his return he told me I would not recognise the country - small villages turned into towns, towns turned into heaving metropolises. I would like to return one day to Thailand, to show our children their Grandfather's beloved country. I fear when that time comes, Thailand will not the the special secret I remember being privy to.
A trip tp Thailand would not be complete without going to at least see some elephants... they also make a good and... more travel advice
Songkran marks the Thai new year and is a 3-day festival of water, in April. Celebrations take place in Bangkok, Chiang... more travel advice
smirnofforiginal's Related Pages
Thailand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Thailand - BpraThetThai"
- "Beautiful Thailand!!"
- "Siam - Land of the Smiles"
- "*The Land of Smiles"
- "Thailand, great time but not again"
- "but where is your soul?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Thailand
- Hotels in Thailand
- Transportation in Thailand
- Nightlife in Thailand
- Restaurants in Thailand
- Shopping in Thailand
- Warnings and Dangers in Thailand
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Thailand
- 32 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 7 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Thailand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Thailand
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 77 reviews, 158 photos
- Kiev Intro, 29 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Moscow Intro, 21 reviews, 55 photos
- Namibia Intro, 25 reviews, 45 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 22 reviews, 47 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 18 reviews, 40 photos
- Weymouth Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 18 reviews, 34 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Mumbai Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos