"Lodz" Top 5 Page for this destination Lodz by smirnofforiginal
Lodz Travel Guide: 142 reviews and 463 photos
Lodz, pronounced "woodge", is the largest urban centre after Warasw. It is a young city; not a building oder than 200 years, and known for its Art Nouveau.
Lodz is responsible for half of Poland's textile production and is home to many film schools and studios.
Lodz appears sprawling and a bit grubby but it is rather a pleasant place, really.
My lasting memories of Lodz, espcially as we were there with our 2 month & 20 month old children, are those of the street children. There were a number of children who were obviously living on the streets. They were very dirty, in tatty clothes and were literally scavaging through bins for food etc...
We went to a friends wedding in Lodz. At the end of the service when the bride and groom come back out, it is traditional to throw coins at them (obviously Polish money). As we did this one little girl, who we had seen several times, ran in and started to gather as many of the coins as she could. She was not well received by many of the guests.... but actually was she really hurting anybody? We were middle class people, throwing money (and not huge sums of it) and she was a little girl with nothing and probably a bleak future...
... my lasting impression is a very sad impression...
The Historical Museum of Lodz is in the palace of the Poznanski family who were among the welathiest Jews inthe... more travel advice
Lodz has 2 main train stations : Lodz Kaliska (to the west of teh centre) and Lodz Fabryczna (to the east). The two... more travel advice
smirnofforiginal's Related Pages
Lodz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "sphynxxs's new Lodz Page"
- "Lodz-The Manchester of Poland"
- "Lodz, Poland - Photo and Film Capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lodz
- Hotels in Lodz
- Transportation in Lodz
- Nightlife in Lodz
- Restaurants in Lodz
- Shopping in Lodz
- Warnings and Dangers in Lodz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lodz
- 4 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Lodz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lodz
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 77 reviews, 158 photos
- Kiev Intro, 29 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Moscow Intro, 21 reviews, 55 photos
- Namibia Intro, 25 reviews, 45 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 22 reviews, 47 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 18 reviews, 40 photos
- Weymouth Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 18 reviews, 34 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Mumbai Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos